Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
finallyinthesaddle

Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyinthesaddle
but I'm not sure I like the fact that their mounting hardware fastens through the shield (at least I think it does based on the photos I've seen)
News Flash: They ALL are like that......as far as I know. :cool:
Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it. I don't know, though... I'm pretty new to this whole thing. If you guys say that mounts that go through the sheild don't cause problems with the shield cracking or anything, I won't worry about it so much.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it.
What exactly makes you think that?
Have you actually SEEN one?
How would you get a solid, RELIABLE mount without something going through the shield?

I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding and they all had the mounts staked through the shield in one manner or another.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it.
What exactly makes you think that?
Have you actually SEEN one?
How would you get a solid, RELIABLE mount without something going through the shield?

I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding and they all had the mounts staked through the shield in one manner or another.
There is a picture here----->http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pag...existar-2.aspx Sorry, I don't know how to shorten it.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
There is a picture here
No problem with the long URL; at least it worked.
So, you are assuming those two mounting points are what......glued to the shield ??
Experience leads me to assume that is not the case and something behind that fancy looking mount goes through the plastic.

Maybe someone who has one, or who has actually seen one, can say for sure.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Sarris

Quote:
I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding .
Yeah, yeah, I saw you on the road while I was riding my Rockcycle with Fred Flintstone about a million years ago.

LOL
Sarris

:neener:

Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #16
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:

No problem with the long URL; at least it worked.
So, you are assuming those two mounting points are what......glued to the shield ??
Experience leads me to assume that is not the case and something behind that fancy looking mount goes through the plastic.

Maybe someone who has one, or who has actually seen one, can say for sure.
Hopefully BadBob will weigh in, as he has one. I'm not sure how they're fastened to the sheild, but the National Cycle website says " National Cycle found that ordinary drill mounting methods caused stress cracks and eventual breakage of acrylic shields. That's why we developed and use our patented No-Hole Ballsocket system on all of our acrylic products." (Taken from National Cycle's website under the description of the Plexistar 2 for the GZ250)
Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
National Cycle found that ordinary drill mounting methods caused stress cracks and eventual breakage of acrylic shields. That's why we developed and use our patented No-Hole Ballsocket system on all of our acrylic products.[/b]" (Taken from National Cycle's website under the description of the Plexistar 2 for the GZ250)

Well Geezz, why didn't you say that in the first place ??

And the other guys sales borchure says: (something like....) No glued on mount points that will eventually break loose. Our shields come with (some contrived name for) bolts through the acrylic shield with rubber grommets. :lol:

Let the buyer beware!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Moedad

Quote:
I've got a Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz. I think it is a bit taller and not quite as wide as Bob's but similar in coverage.
I think list price is ~ $180.
Easy, which model Santa Cruz did you get? I don't see a listing for the GZ250 on their website, just the bigger Marauders. Did you need to move the turn indicators or anything?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:

Well Geezz, why didn't you say that in the first place ??

And the other guys sales borchure says: (something like....) No glued on mount points that will eventually break loose. Our shields come with (some contrived name for) bolts through the acrylic shield with rubber grommets. :lol:

Let the buyer beware!

Yeah, I know. :??: That's why I'm having such trouble making a decision, and was hoping you all could shed some light on the choices.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Easy, which model Santa Cruz did you get? I don't see a listing for the GZ250 on their website, just the bigger Marauders. Did you need to move the turn indicators or anything?
Well get used to NOT seeing the GZ listed for any type of accessories. You just have to take a chance sometimes.....or come here for EXCELLENT advice !!

I didn't realize there were different ones; maybe slightly different mounts. If so, I got the "universal" one.
I didn't really have to move anything........except to put the bars back where they started out. I had pulled them back and down a bit and the shield fit a LOT better with them back (near) the factory setting.
It was just a BIG pain in the butt doing it alone; tighten one bolt and others slip out of position.

The lowers bang the tank at full turn. I stuck a small rubber bumper on each side......a small piece of weather stripping actually.