Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
mamahemp

handle grip screw thingy?

The left hand grip needs changed out, but when we went to put the new grips on we noticed they were solid end with no hole.

We took off the end with a screw driver, but the thread on the bolt does not seem to work right. My question is do you need the extra 1.5 inch extension on the handle grip thingys?

Yeah, technical I know. ANy input appreciated. thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: handle grip screw thingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahemp
Yeah, technical I know. ANy input appreciated. thanks!
Please take a few minutes and scan back over the old posts here. I know there are quite a lot of them but there is REALLY a lot of good information there........like what NOT to do when working with the bar-end weights and hand grips.

There is also an item in the top selection bar labeled "Search". It is very useful. In this case, I think "weight" might be a good search keyword.
Edit: It took a 2 level search; weight first, then bar. Look here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1720&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&h ilit=weight+bar

We LOVE to help out new riders, REALLY we do.......but it gets kind of old re-typing the same answers OVER AND OVER.....really it does.

Quick summary:
You have about 3 choices.

Remove both bar-end weights and hope you don't get a lot of vibration in the bars. Some have done that and are OK with it.

Cut the ends off both your new grips and get one new end-weight, because you usually can't recover the nut and compression plug once you have unscrewed it all the way.

Leave the original grips on and get some slip-on foam grip covers; again replace the missing end weight.

Don't feel too bad about the "odd" screw arrangement on the weights. A LOT of people have been bitten by that .........including ME! :shocked:
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
burkbuilds

I made a similar goof when I put heated grips on my bike. I unscrewed the bar-end weights all the way and couldn't get them to screw back on. A friend helped me out, we took both end weights off, leaned the bike over to one side as far as we could and used an air compressor and blow gun to blast the nuts out the low side of the bars. It worked, took a few tries, but we were successful. In the future I'll know to just loosen the screws enough to pull the bar-end weights off. Maybe this will work for you too. Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
alantf

Yeah, we've all done it first time round. Luckily the mechanic in the local bike shop showed me how to get the bits out (successfully!) with a hook made out of an old wire coat hanger, from the local dry cleaner's.