Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Did the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzillaScrapping
what makes me the most upset is just that i've only had the bike for 1 1/2 weeks... sigh...
This is pretty normal actually. Maybe a little more parking lot practice is in your future.

Quote:
so I should start with just the footpeg mounting bracket, but i don't need to get the footpeg too?
Just from looking closely at your pictures, the footrest and connecting pin look very intact. It probably folded up when it hit the ground (as it was designed to do) and didn't bend anything. It'll be entirely your call on whether you think the footrest itself is in any distress and whether or not you want to replace the whole unit.

Quote:
if that doesn't fix it up, would the next step be to replace the shifter? it looks like based on the bar that connects to it via the ball joint i would need a special tool to remove it and then connect it?
Solaran, you mentioned the circlip and the eclip that needs to be removed, any special tool/technique that would make it easier?
Again, looking at your pics (specifically 6291 and 6294) the shift rod looks to be straight and intact. The impact appears to have only focused on the outer part of the bracket where the hinge to the footrest is. If you have to replace the shift lever assembly (meaning if it's bent beyond repair), it will come complete with the ball-joint attached (Suzuki part number 25600-13F00 at RonAyers).

Solaran might can answer it better, but some small pointed needle-nose pliers are usually all that's needed to remove those circlips and e-clips. If you look closely at that parts diagram I linked, you can see the circlip he's talking about (#38).

Quote:
I suppose if i get in over my head, i can load it up on the trailer and take it to the shop? would they still work on it do you think?
Yeah, any shop shouldn't have a problem working on it. It all just depends on how much you want to pay them for the labor. I'm personally opposed to paying for service that I'm certain I can do myself given the right motivation (read: saving money). That, and since I've had this bike, I haven't really minded getting my hands dirty.

BTW, some people here have had issues ordering OEM parts from the RonAyers site. If you need to order something that you can't get from a part-out or from eBay, then BikeBandit.com is the way to go (#34 in the diagram - BB# 489860-001). They may be $3-4 higher, but they have a much better reputation.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
]... thanks for the link to patrick's post, it was acutally very helpful to see it all disassembled, i'm very much a picture person...
Me too. And you're welcome.

Patrick pretty much took care of everything with his last post.
So I'll just back him up a bit.

As far as the footpeg and shifter needing to be replaced, you'll have to make that call once you get down there and actually start looking at it. There are only two little pegs that attach the footpeg to the footpeg mount. If those little pegs are not bent or if they are only slightly bent, it can be reused. Like Pat said, they are designed to fold up when they contact the ground.

I also agree that overall, your shifter looks fine and straight. There are no special tools needed as long as you have a metric wrench set and some needle nose pliers. The shift rod just screws into the base of the shifter via the linkage bolts that you see. Vice versa for the transmission side.

Unless you find some problem that we can't see via the photos, I wouldn't go to the shop for something as simple as this appears to be. Heck, you may even be able to take the shifter and footpeg off and straighten out the mounting bracket. Then it wouldn't cost you any money and you would have the experience to fix it in the future, should it bother you that you are using a DIY refurbished peice.

Lastly, everyone drops their bike at some point. There is no way around it. Good to go ahead and get this first one out of the way without any bodily damage.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Solaran

Quote:
so I should start with just the footpeg mounting bracket, but i don't need to get the footpeg too?
if that doesn't fix it up, would the next step be to replace the shifter? it looks like based on the bar that connects to it via the ball joint i would need a special tool to remove it and then connect it?
Solaran, you mentioned the circlip and the eclip that needs to be removed, any special tool/technique that would make it easier?
I would say take the bracket off first. where it sits against the body of your bike it should be perfectly flat. If you look at #2 on this diagram Foot Rest Diagram you'll see a little bar heading in towards the body of the bike (left is the front of your bike). If #2 is bent and that part is 'curled' away from your frame, it'll move the shifter out of alignment as well. If you look at your bike and the shifter arm is straight heading down to the bracket, then the shifter is probably okay.

Also, if you really want to get a good look at the entire assembly, once you've removed the bracket screws, it'll all hang loose from the shifter assembly (#26 here: Shifter Diagram). At that time, you can actually swing the footrest/bracket combo up to the shift lever and unscrew the entire section from the rest of the shifting assembly. It's difficult to explain, but easy to do. It's kind of like spinning a wrench.

Regarding the e-clip (#9 from the Foot Peg Diagram) and the circlip (#38 from the Shifter Diagram), a pair of fine point needle nose pliers will be your friend. I couldn't find mine, so it involved a lot of swearing with some regular pliers.

I was worried that my shifter was bent way out of whack, so I'd ordered a replacement bracket and shift lever. All it took was replacing the bracket. Of course, I didn't know that until I had both parts and took the whole thing apart. Oh well. Think I'll keep the shifter for my next stupid stunt....

And I'd had mine for about 2.5 - 3 weeks when I dropped it. First time in the rain....

Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
BenzillaScrapping

Send a message via MSN to BenzillaScrapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaran
If you look at your bike and the shifter arm is straight heading down to the bracket, then the shifter is probably okay.
Also, if you really want to get a good look at the entire assembly, once you've removed the bracket screws, it'll all hang loose from the shifter assembly
Regarding the e-clip (#9 from the Foot Peg Diagram) and the circlip (#38 from the Shifter Diagram), a pair of fine point needle nose pliers will be your friend. I couldn't find mine, so it involved a lot of swearing with some regular pliers.
I was worried that my shifter was bent way out of whack, so I'd ordered a replacement bracket and shift lever. All it took was replacing the bracket. Of course, I didn't know that until I had both parts and took the whole thing apart. Oh well. Think I'll keep the shifter for my next stupid stunt....
And I'd had mine for about 2.5 - 3 weeks when I dropped it. First time in the rain....
Wow lots of good stuff there. I did finally look at it enough times it mostly makes sense, but i also know once i'm "elbow deep" it will gel more. I did finally find the right part on bikebandit and ordered it this morning so now i'm anxious to get going on it. Work (and life!) has been kicking me in the rear so i've not taken the time to do it before this AM.

Again, thanks for all your help everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.

Solaran - as far as stupid stunts go, know what you mean and it's never bad to be prepared!! :lol:
Elle
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #15
BenzillaScrapping

Send a message via MSN to BenzillaScrapping

Hey, just wanted to let you all know that over labor day weekend i was ablet to get the mounting bracket changed and it shifts like a dream now! Thanks so much for all your help, it really was pretty simple, and it was very satisfying to be able to do it myself. The bracket ended up being pretty badly bent, i was suprised when i got it off that i hadn't noticed it. It turns out that the mounting bracket for the headlamp was also bent, which is keeping the lamp from focusing straight on, are those also fairly easy to replace? It looks like it, I was going to check out bikebandit to see if they had the part....

Thanks again!!!
Elle

Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Re: Adjusting the shifter lever

FYI my local shop has online OEM parts ordering and are often cheaper than bike bandit. Just select "online parts fiche. I don't know cost effective their shipping is but it's worth checking them out. Also for some reason the prices don't show up with firefox so be sure to use internet explorer.