Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Another magic oil blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
And is Spectro Gold supposed to be good for our bikes or what, I never actually saw where anyone posted on that one way or the other.
Only available at bike shops. Just another synthetic oil.

I choose among the major brand synthetics based mostly on convenience and then cost.
When the shop was doing my oil changes, the Spectro was convenient 'cause it's what they had.

Now that I'm doing my own again, the Mobil 1 Vtwin is convenient at AutoZone. Using only 1-1/2 qts. per change, I don't pay much attention to price anymore.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

A rider at my Chicago client I was visiting (he rides a bigger bike, lots of experience, pretty hard core, follows racing and such) was singing it's praises when I brought up the Rotella-T. Also likes Amsoil. He's down for the winter as well, it was about 16 or so at mid morning, and when the wind blows, it's wicked cold. Plus there's a lot of solid ice on the roads. I suspect it is even colder where Easy is cause he's farther from the lake.

Here's what he said about the Spectro: "I always notice the bike shifts better right after an oil change, but then after a little while, this effect goes away. With the Spectro, I noticed the effect lasts a lot longer."

I forgot what bike he has, but it has the same common oil reservoir as the GZ (engine oil and transmission oil are the same.) I guess most bikes are designed this way?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I forgot what bike he has, but it has the same common oil reservoir as the GZ (engine oil and transmission oil are the same.) I guess most bikes are designed this way?
Yes almost all.

I am always skeptical of anybody who reports being able to detect things that subtle.
I certainly didn't notice anything like that.....but then I was occupied with other things, like trying to keep the wheels on the road. :cool:

The lake effect diminishes VERY rapidly as you get away from it. Except for the dreaded lake effect snows, there is very little impact about a mile inland. Lake Michigan is big but has nowhere near the impact of the oceans because it lacks the tropical currents. I am ~ 120 miles south so it is usually a lot warmer; at least 2-3 degrees! :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads