Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I don't know about never trusting the manufacturer of a product to give you advice, because if you were really that distrusting of them, would you really ever use their product to begin with?
Sure I would. Remember, the R&D department is separate from the marketing department.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
primal

Alright, I lubed my chain with DuPont Multi-Use Teflon lubricant. When it dries is it pretty much clear? Its a cloudy white when I spray but after its dry I can't really tell if anything is on it. Also, is there an easy way to clean the sprockets without taking the chain off? I got the chain pretty clean with kerosene but the sprocket was still quite oily.

Sheesh, I feel like a real noob right now, but I really don't want to take it out on the road with an under-lubed chain (in case I didn't shake the can enough...).
Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Sheesh, I feel like a real noob right now, but I really don't want to take it out on the road with an under-lubed chain (in case I didn't shake the can enough...).
About the only way to clean the sprockets is to use a rag and be VERY careful not to move things while your fingers are in there.

Alas, the only good way to tell if have enough of that kind of lube in place is to FEEL the exposed length of the chain......if you can't tell by looking. Yes, it's messy.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
primal

Alright, after taking a closer look, it looks (or rather feels) like the throttle return spring is fine. However, the assembly that the two throttle cables attach to (whatever its called) needs lubed. Hopefully it wont require too much disassembly. What sort of lube should I used? Will 3-in-1 do the job, or do I need something different?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
However, the assembly that the two throttle cables attach to (whatever its called) needs lubed. Hopefully it wont require too much disassembly. What sort of lube should I used? Will 3-in-1 do the job, or do I need something different?
With a little luck, you shouldn't have to take anything apart.
I'd put a little penetrating oil or WD40 on it first to get it freed up and THEN a drop of oil after a few days.
3n1 should work fine.

If your cables are not adjusted properly, it may APPEAR that the throttle plate rod is sticking when it is, infact, the cables binding.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
primal

I'll take another look at it, but it sticks when both cables are somewhat slack (I was manipulating the throttle plate rod by hand). I'll still lube the cables since I know they probably haven't been lubed recently, but I'm pretty sure its the throttle plate rod that is sticking.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Sarris

Sticking throttle

Just for grins, you may want to check that the throttle grip housing isn't pushed up too tight to the bar end. Just loosen the (2) housing screws and move it very slightly away from the bar end. It may solve your problem.

Just my second thought.

:2tup:
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
primal

There is actually a small gap between the bar end and the throttle grip. In fact, the only reason I know that is because the bike looks like it was dropped on the right side and the bar end is bent... hmmm, wonder if that could be it? I dunno, it only seems to stick occasionally. I haven't taken much notice, but it seems to stick more when warm (heat of the day or after its been running). Either way I'll check out the bar end.