Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
A few maintenance questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions. I noticed the other day that occasionally my throttle will stick and not spring back to position. So far I can manually make the throttle return to position, and it doesn't happen all the time. I figure the throttle cable just needs lubing (I've got some 3in1 oil for this purpose), but I'm curious as to whether or not I should check anything else. Hopefully I won't need to replace the throttle cable.

Also, I've noticed that my front brake lever is a bit sticky and also needs some lube. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I remove the brake lever? Also, I'm planning on using some Militec grease. I doubt anyone has used it, but its designed for extreme environments (it was developed for and used by the Army on their vehicles... its even used on some NASA vehicles). Is there anything particularly special about the grease that Suzuki recommends?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Sarris

Lubing

I use WD-40 for lubing my cables & levers (or anything without a grease zerk) with great success. It's very easy because of the straw tube. I'd also check that the throttle return spring on the carb is not broken or has lost it's tension.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Lubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I'd also check that the throttle return spring on the carb is not broken or has lost it's tension.

PLUS.....this can sometimes be a sign that the cables are not adjusted properly. There should be a little slack, similar to the clutch cable. If there is NO slack, it can bind. Sometimes it can be the actual throttle plate inside the carb throat or the rod it's attached to that goes out to the cable. That might require some spray carb cleaner and then a little lube.

I'm a big fan of silicone spray myself. It's totally inert and won't harm teflon lined cables like some solvents will.
Does the GZ have lined cables?? I don't know.

Bottom line is: If you are uneasy about all these things to check/adjust, a shop could probably fix you right up in about 10 minutes, for minimum $$$ if you make an appointment first.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
primal

I'm not uneasy about checking them, I just wanted to see of there was anything else I should check (like the spring Sarris mentioned).

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:
I use WD-40 for lubing my cables & levers (or anything without a grease zerk) with great success. It's very easy because of the straw tube. I'd also check that the throttle return spring on the carb is not broken or has lost it's tension.

I've heard that WD-40 tends to penetrate pretty well, but doesn't last too long and, since it acts as a cleaner also, can lead to increased [read as "faster"] rust buildup. I'm with Easy... silicone all the way.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyinthesaddle
I've heard that WD-40 tends to penetrate pretty well, but doesn't last too long and, since it acts as a cleaner also, can lead to increased [read as "faster"] rust buildup. I'm with Easy... silicone all the way.
WD40 contains LOTS of solvents but was not designed to be a lubricant. After it dries, it is actually a little sticky. It's original purpose was to make a protective film on metal to repel water and thus inhibit rust. It does that pretty good. Solvent for cleaning metal, also good. Lubricant, not so good.

If you REALLY care, do a web search for WD40.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Sarris

WD-40

Actually, the WD-40 site does recommend their product for lubricating cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD-40.com
THE FIVE BASIC FUNCTIONS:

LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.

PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits"
This is from the site http://www.wd40.com/faqs/. Please note the first function is "Lubricates"

Not trying to be contrary, just want to get the facts straight. It really is good stuff!!

Sarris

:2tup:
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
primal

Well, if there's one thing I've learned, is that you should never trust the manufacturer of a product to give you REAL advice.

Its the same reason I don't trust the "tests" that Amsoil conducted that just so happens to show their oil at the head of each category.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Re: WD-40

Quote:
Actually, the WD-40 site does recommend their product for lubricating cables.

Please note the first function is "Lubricates"

Not trying to be contrary, just want to get the facts straight. It really is good stuff!!
I see nothing in there about cables.......especially ones that come from the factory with a teflon sleeve (still don't know if ours do or not; my guess is not).

Remember the main mission of the source of that information: To sell more WD 40.

I never said it wasn't good stuff. I get it for my small farm operation by the gallon......but I don't use it where real lubrication is required. And I don't use it on electrical contacts either, unless I flush it later with alcohol and compressed air.

If you want to see what I mean, put some in a shallow pan. Let it sit out in the hot sun for a couple of days until most of the liquid evaporates. See what you have left.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
music man

I don't know about never trusting the manufacturer of a product to give you advice, because if you were really that distrusting of them, would you really ever use their product to begin with? That being said, That Amsoil report and other blatently biased reports like it are not reliable in my eyes not just because they (Amsoil) are at the top in those catergorys but that their main competitors, main ones being Lucas and Royal Purple are completely at the bottom in most of them, just a little to convenient if you ask me.

I didnt mean to get off the subject though, WD-40 IS good for alot of things, but I like some of the other people on here

have heard or found out for themselves that it is not the best "lubricant". I think as a temporary lube, it works just fine but it

doesn't seem to stick around long term like silicone spray and other stuff along those lines, which is exactly what you need

on your cables is something that will stick around.

Not a scientific fact, just my humble opinion.

later :rawk: