Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
zipmap

Any GZ Doctor near Dayton, OH??

Hi All,

Bought my pretty little 2006 GZ used with 300 miles on it last fall. My friends said to "go with SUZUKI, they are PRACTICALLY maintenance free for LIFE!"

YEAH?? If I charge the (third) battery every night?
OH, OKAY!!
Why did I buy this thing? You bet! It ran great when I bought it! (for two days) The dealership said it was a bad battery! Said they would honor the 30 day warranty and replace the battery!
OH HOW BIG OF THEM, and it only took 5 WEEKS to get the "RIGHT" battery for "THIS PARTICULAR MODEL" arrive from (probably the storeroom in the parts department) and, assuring the warranty would run out and they could stick me with whatever in the heck is wrong with this POS.

And of course, I am a single woman who is strictly KGG (Keys. Gas. Go.) nothing else.

I read the "fail to start" info in the forum section. Know what this technical stuff means to me?
It means I have an expensive patio decoration.
I would have preferred a hot tub.

Anybody around here have time, interest and know how to handle this particular issue?
After all this, I am AFRAID to take it to a mechanic!
Peace

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
New GZ250

Re: Any GZ Doctor near Dayton, OH??

Don't have the knowledge but I know someone will help to get up and go!

I feel for you! Lets get that expensive patio decoration off the patio!

I have a hot tub I would sell you if interested. Just don't use it that much!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
zipmap

Thanks for the reply, I really need some direction here. Got any ideas? Do you think I should have posted this in the Troubleshooting Forum?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
New GZ250

I'm a KGG kinda of guy. Would not even take an educated guess, others have had this same problem/issue. Sure one of us will try a put you back on the road. I would throw a fit with the Dealer you bought from! They never fixed the problem! It was under warranty when you brought the issue to their attention!
Hang in there, you will have a bunch in the forum come to your assistance!

Mr. KGG!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
zipmap

Thanks for giving a shout out for me. I'm hanging in!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
JWR

I read your post twice. Please correct me if I am wrong, The bike will start as long as the battery is fully charged????
If left off the charger it will not, is this correct???

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
zipmap

Yes, this is correct. If a the battery is new or fully charged it will start a half dozen times or so, then it requires charging again, jumping or bump starting. It does turn over for a while but won't catch. Eventually it turns over less and less, sounding like drag on the starter, until finally dead. What is going on?

It WILL start, but only with help, never the way it is expected to.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
JWR

It sounds like it is not charging.
To check the output power:.
1. Take off seat and right side cover.
2.Hook up a battery meter to the battery.
3.Start engine and rev about half throttle.
4.Let us know what the meter reading is, should be around 13 volts.

The GZ will turn over with a weak battery, but not start, all GZ,s are like this.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
dannylightning

do you have any thing hooked up to the bike that might be using power. i would guess that they either got a nother crappy battery witch can happen, some times brand new batteries can be bad or your bike is not charging the battery.

there is a little place in akron ohio called midway yamaha that rocks at fixing bikes, you probably dont want to drive that far. suzui does make really good bikes. don't let one little problem get to you. things happen, and its probably nothing major, if the alternator goes out in your car and your battery wont charge you don't get all upset and think the car is junk do you. i just think dam i got to spend 80 bucks on a new but after i do its all fixed up and running great again..

im just saying it can be fixed and its probably nothing major so dont get too upset. the wait on parts sucks but there is no reason they cant have them in with in one week. that just sounds like a crappy dealer.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
mrlmd1

This has been an ongoing problem addressed before in numerous threads.
It's probably the battery, but not really the battery, it's the dealer who installed it.

First off, hook up a good battery or jump it with cables from a car battery, WITHOUT THE CAR ENGINE RUNNING! You don't want to fry the GZ's electricals with the output from a car alternator, but the battery is just fine to start the bike. Don't forget, + to +, - to - on the cables.
If it starts, that identifies the problem.
The batteries for these bikes are usually AGM sealed batteries and they MUST be fully charged up first on a charger after being filled with acid before initial use or they will NEVER hold a full charge to start the bike more than a few times, then they crap out, have to be charged again, and will start the bike once or twice, then die again. If the dealer did not charge the battery for a few hours at least before installing it, it's already ruined and you need a new one. You (the dealer) test it by putting on a load tester and you will see immediately if it's any good. Make him do that and give you a new battery.
If you get the bike running, you can easily measure the voltage across the battery terminals to see if the bike is charging or not, and I would bet this is fine.

I bet you anything the problem is the battery, don't start looking for exotic problems on a new bike with only 300 miles. Get a new battery, charge it and your problem is solved.