Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
zipmap

Re: Any GZ Doctor near Dayton, OH??

I will do exactly these things, I got this new (3rd!!) battery at Batteries Plus. I took it back to them and they said the charge on it was down, charged it, and said if it held a charge overnight then something was wrong with my bike, not the battery. Naturally, it tested fine the next morning and they sent me on my way. For another few starts.

I'm down on my bike right now for sure, but it's only because I didn't get a great runnning machine and have not been able to just enjoy riding it...

If I could get this resolved w/o spending big$ I would feel much better.
Because just as life seems to always work out...
My SUZUKI car needs new brake rotors and a blower right now too!

such is life

Could you all keep an eye on me here in case I need more input?
I REALLY appreciate that.
Maria

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipmap
I will do exactly these things, I got this new (3rd!!) battery at Batteries Plus. I took it back to them and they said the charge on it was down, charged it, and said if it held a charge overnight then something was wrong with my bike, not the battery. Naturally, it tested fine the next morning and they sent me on my way. For another few starts.

I'm down on my bike right now for sure, but it's only because I didn't get a great runnning machine and have not been able to just enjoy riding it...

If I could get this resolved w/o spending big$ I would feel much better.
Because just as life seems to always work out...
My SUZUKI car needs new brake rotors and a blower right now too!

such is life

Could you all keep an eye on me here in case I need more input?
I REALLY appreciate that.
Maria
my friends have suzuki samurai's and they beat the hell out of them on the off road trails and roll them over, those things never have motor problems, only 4x4 and suspension problems but whet to you expect when you go to the 4th most extreme off road park in the country and give it hell and roll it over down big hills. i believe Suzuki makes great stuff. dont get disgurraged,

i just bought a new Suzuki motorcycle, well new to me. second suzuki, put it this way, if the new battery works great, if the battery is not charging it's not going to be any thing major. once a month you should really charge you battery to keep it fresh i guess you would say

IMPORTANT if you are and when you are charging your battery with a charger are you doing the fast charge or the slow charge. the fast charge will make your battery wear out quick, that is not good for a battery at all. always do a slow charge when charging your battery, that wont hurt it at all
Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
once a month you should really charge you battery to keep it fresh i guess you would say
Why? :??: I've had my gz for nearly 2½ years. I've never needed to charge the battery, even when the bike has been standing for 3 weeks, while I was on holiday. It starts first time, every time. :2tup:

Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
once a month you should really charge you battery to keep it fresh i guess you would say
Why? :??: I've had my gz for nearly 2½ years. I've never needed to charge the battery, even when the bike has been standing for 3 weeks, while I was on holiday. It starts first time, every time. :2tup:
i'm not really sure why but that's what it says in the owners manual for my new bike. might make the battery last longer if its always kept at the maximum charge, that would be my guess.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
dhgeyer

By all means have the battery tested. If they are not charged properly the first time, they can fail very early, or never work right to begin with.

If it's not the battery itself, then there are a couple of other possibilities. Could be a loose connection from the alternator, or somewhere else in the charging circuit. You'll have to have that chased down by a reputable shop.

The other possibility, and one that happened to me on a Nighthawk 650, is an intermittently bad stator (part of the alternator). Again, you would have to have this checked out by a really competent mechanic.

Whatever it is, there is a solution. The hard part is finding a mechanic who is honest and good enough to find the difficulty. Ask around in your area. Ask several people who ride. Some shops have good reputations and don't deserve them.

After the frustration, comes a whole lot of fun. More than a hot tub any day, unless you're riding 2 up.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
mrlmd1

Just to repeat - before you get yourself crazy, have the shop load test your battery, it's probably no good. Get a new one and charge it up before you first use it.
That should solve your problem, and if not, then we'll go from there. First things first.
Did the bike start when you jumped it from a good battery?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
B

After the frustration, comes a whole lot of fun. More than a hot tub any day, unless you're riding 2 up.
riding 2 up in the hot tub???????? :pimpdaddy:
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #18
mrlmd1

So where you been? What happened? The suspense is killing me.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
dhgeyer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
B

riding 2 up in the hot tub???????? :pimpdaddy:

I'm glad someone's awake.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
zipmap

You guys are cracking me up!
I have been slammed at work, haven't even had a chance to do anything about my bike yet... but I will first thing next week.

Going to the WV mountains for the weekend to trail ride... at least the quad runs!

Have a great weekend everybody...get back to ya...