Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
ncff07

Air Pump

I thought I'd pass this along since it has been discussed in another thread about tire pressures and pumps/pump fittings to get the nozzle on the stem ok. I was going to buy just a plain portable air tank to keep for my bike/truck/car/mower since I got rid of my air compressor after we quit racing. While looking at what Walmart had I noticed a tiny 12v portable air pump for $9.99 so I got that instead of a $40 tank that I'd have to fill up at the gas station and take back home when needed. I had my doubts how good it would be but I tried it today and it did better than i thought it would. Its a little slow but faster than what it says at inflating a flat full size tire in 14 minutes. I adjusted pressure in both bike tires, inflated 4 mower tires and checked my truck tires in 15 minutes. It goes up to 50 psi has a built in gauge and small LED light on the bottom and an on/off switch. The hose is flexible and i had no problems getting it on the bike tires at all and it threads onto the valve stem. The cord is pretty long I had it plugged into my truck and stretched out the window and it reached across the top onto the far side of the mower without a problem and has a small case to keep it in too. Comes with a football/basketball/etc needle and an adaptor to use it on pools toys and stuff. And NO I dont work for Walfart just liked how the thing did. :lol:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Air Pump

Sweet, my made-in-china foot pump-with-pressure-meter just broke (consists of crappy/cheap stuff), it is so much easier to just plug something in.

Hm, I wonder though, how long this one will last... May I presume it is made in China ?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
ncff07

Where its made im not sure i didnt pay attention to that. Its in my truck when I go out tomorrow I'll look and see. Its the "Slime" brand though and carried by walmart and was cheap so youre probably right.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Scheezo

Send a message via AIM to Scheezo Send a message via Yahoo to Scheezo

Most of what we use today is made in China so I wouldn't question the quality based on that alone. Great find tho! I'm going to grab one and let my dad know as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
dhgeyer

I did a little research on this topic before my cross America ride. The Slime pump is reported as not bad and generally a good buy. But, if you want something that will last for years in hard use, then you want the $100.00 version, called the Cyclepump. In addition to being very rugged and reliable, it has several electrical fittings, including alligator clips and the universal motorcycle connection that's used by battery tenders. I bought this unit and took it with me to California and back. I checked and/or adjusted my tire pressures every day. Obviously this product costs about 10 times as much, but it's a lifetime unit. Made in USA. Link below.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheezo
Most of what we use today is made in China
Yes - and just wait until the manufacturing companies in EVERY other country in the world have folded, & the little slitty eyed people have us by the balls. Then we'll see REAL inflation, when it becomes a case of buying their goods at whatever price they decide to charge, or going without!

I was watching a programme a few nights ago. It seems that even now, the money they're collecting is being used to fund their nuclear arms race.

I bought a packet of frozen smoked haddock the other day. Caught in the Atlantic, PACKED IN CHINA, then shipped to England, from where it was shipped to Tenerife. Seems like they're even going to control the world's food, bit by bit. Just hope I'm not around to see it, when these commies achieve world domination by financial means. The Russians couldn't do it by force, but the Chinese sure as hell will be able to do it by stealth.

:curse:
Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
... the little slitty eyed people have us by the balls.
As a suggestion, Alan, you might want to direct that kind of remark to the "Hot Topics and Open Discussion" section of the forum. That is, after all, the only place where I'd feel comfortable replying to you in a manner that seems suitable.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I did a little research on this topic before my cross America ride. The Slime pump is reported as not bad and generally a good buy. But, if you want something that will last for years in hard use, then you want the $100.00 version, called the Cyclepump. In addition to being very rugged and reliable, it has several electrical fittings, including alligator clips and the universal motorcycle connection that's used by battery tenders. I bought this unit and took it with me to California and back. I checked and/or adjusted my tire pressures every day. Obviously this product costs about 10 times as much, but it's a lifetime unit. Made in USA. Link below.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx
I have that pump too.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video

As a suggestion, Alan, you might want to direct that kind of remark to the "Hot Topics and Open Discussion" section of the forum. That is, after all, the only place where I'd feel comfortable replying to you in a manner that seems suitable.
I was just replying to part of a post, on a subject that I feel very strongly about. It seems that everyone is euphoric about cheap goods today, with never a thought for the future.

When you say "in a manner that seems suitable", I can't tell if you agree or disagree. I just feel sorry for the fools out to make a quick buck. They don't know what they're unleashing.
:skull:
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Sarris

I have a Craftsman mini compressor. They are normally $139, but are now on sale for $99. I bought mine at the clearance center for $79.

If you ask me, this is a better way to go, as it will do a hell of a lot more than inflate tires. Craftsman Mini Compressor

I often use mine for my 1/4" air ratchet. Makes life easier!