Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 03-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Sarris

Re: Replace flat back tire

It probably is from the old GN-250 center stand from which the GeeZee was derived. An old GN centerstand may fit. No Promises.

Here is a photo of a 1991 GN-250 up on it's centerstand.

Good Luck.

:2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
rbert16000

Send a message via AIM to rbert16000

Thanks al for the info.. All good advise.... Had a buddy come over andwe used a car jack... Trickey, but it worked.... :2tup:
Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
rbert16000

Send a message via AIM to rbert16000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ surfn
Help! Help
Just got a flat on my back tire. New to bikes. I think I know what to do , except how to jack the bike up!. Feel lame saying that but I am not sure where to lift with a jack. That and any other main pointers would be much appreciated. Bought the bike used but only has 700 mi. Dont want to cause damage or more trouble.
Much abliged.
Still trying to get a pic on this site and become sponsor. Will keep at it.
Looking forward to that 16 tooth sprocket in the future. hope to help others
We used a car jack right under the the engine, just forward of the rear tire... Took some trial and error. Also used some plywood for added stability. And would have some act as a safety just in case. They can hold it all steady as you work. Be careful....

Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ surfn
I am not sure where to lift with a jack.
I've noticed that under the bike there's a sort of metal plate with 2 holes in it. It looks to me as though it was placed there for a centre stand. Can anyone say if this is correct? If it is, has anyone seen an aftermarket centre stand, or can anyone suggest what it might be for? I'm mentioning this because it seems that a centre stand would raise the back wheel off the ground, or alternately, would this be a good jacking point? I'm thinking along the lines of adapting the top of the jack with a couple of pegs to fit the 2 holes, to keep the jack steady. I'd really appreciate any input on this before I try it.
Adapting a hydraulic floor jack sounds feasible. I thought about it but was too lazy to persue the idea.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
adrianinflorida

The welder at work made me a pair of jackstands. They look just like auto jackstands, but a bit narrower to fit side by side on a bike. I used the method you guys talked about, tilting the bike back on the sidestand, and sliding the first stand Unser the swingarm, etc

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #16

I use a motorcycle jack and strap it down good; got a low one (4 and 1/2 inches) and it just fits underneath. Have to balance it on the "black frame" under the bike, and also the exhaust pipe. To me, it seems like it can't be damaging the pipe at all (because of the weight on it), but does anyone think I'm wrong?

Keith

Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
It probably is from the old GN-250 center stand from which the GeeZee was derived. An old GN centerstand may fit. No Promises.

Here is a photo of a 1991 GN-250 up on it's centerstand.

Good Luck.

:2tup:
Here's a parts fiche of the GN 250 Center stand:
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... &fveh=2082

Now to see what the mounting part on the frame looks like
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I use a motorcycle jack and strap it down good; got a low one (4 and 1/2 inches) and it just fits underneath. Have to balance it on the "black frame" under the bike, and also the exhaust pipe. To me, it seems like it can't be damaging the pipe at all (because of the weight on it), but does anyone think I'm wrong?

Keith
Instead of supporting the weight of the bike on the exhaust pipe, why don't you put a couple of pieces of 2x4 under there and rest the weight on the frame?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Adapting a hydraulic floor jack sounds feasible. I thought about it but was too lazy to persue the idea.
I actually have a "platform" bike/atv jack but ended up using a scissor jack out of an old car. That was lots easier but still not very stable. Need to check out the platform jack closer I guess but it just doesn't seem like there is enough room to get it where it needs to be.

I would be willing to be the guinnea pig for the GN center stand......if anybody knows where to get one. A bike with a chain and WITHOUT a center stand is just a pain in the ass. :shocked:
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Easy, the old car scissors jack can work even better. Bolt a chunk of 1/2 inch plywood to the base to give it more stability. And I agree, a chain bike should have a center stand. A center stand makes life much easier.