Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Riding two up...

Not sure if this is a "Lesson Well learned" or a "beginner" or, possibly just Off topic Chit Chat, but...

...did my first "two up" trip today. Wasn't on the GZ, so I suppose it's not that relevant, but it was a milestone for me anyway. When my wife dropped me off to pick up the GZ from the 3000 mile service on Saturday we popped into the parts department and picked up a helmet and jacket. Tried 'em out today, few trips around the block. Tomorrow is her birthday, and after we make out our "Do Not Resucitate's" we're going to venture out to Cook's Corner. She wasn't too scared on the back, but she mentioned it wasn't really all that much comfortable or fun. Told her to take the MSF course and she can ride the GZ.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Riding two up...

Alan, this was your plan all along wasn't it. lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan, this was your plan all along wasn't it. lol.
I got same feeling... after reading Mr. Alan's post.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

We did a run down to Cook's this morning. Little beyond actually, had to get gas, dontcha know. Three stops altogether, Cook's, Mobil (under seven bucks) and Starbucks (about seven bucks.) No "incidents", smooth sailing all the way. I did notice the 1854 cc's working a tad harder, but, I never took the RPM's over 3K and we did sixty even all the way through the turns on the way back.

Next up, Palm Springs or Santa Barbara, assuming we can make the seat more comfortable. Maybe in a few months I can get her at the controls of the GZ.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
We did a run down to Cook's this morning. Little beyond actually, had to get gas, dontcha know. Three stops altogether, Cook's, Mobil (under seven bucks) and Starbucks (about seven bucks.) No "incidents", smooth sailing all the way. I did notice the 1854 cc's working a tad harder, but, I never took the RPM's over 3K and we did sixty even all the way through the turns on the way back.

Next up, Palm Springs or Santa Barbara, assuming we can make the seat more comfortable. Maybe in a few months I can get her at the controls of the GZ.
"Working a tad harder". Not much I am sure. A little extra load will probably make that big V-twin wake up from it's slumber and work even better. As for the Lady in your life, wait till she is comfy riding with you and then gets bored enough to fall asleep. Eventually she will start to look at the GZ as a means to stay awake. Riding lessons are sure to follow.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

To be honest, I'm not in any hurry. If she ends up having no interest in it whatsoever, that'll be fine with me. I don't mind having her on the back, but I also enjoy riding by myself. I figured, "get the helmet and the jacket, at least" so if she WAS interested in riding, we'd be ready to go. I have a younger daughter that the jacket and helmet will probably fit, and an older one, that I know is interested in riding the GZ (the older one is 25, is still pursuing her education, and currently does not have private medical insurance, so I have not allowed her to try it. But once she has her financial and insurance affairs in order, I'll be happy to help her get started. One of the reasons I kept the GZ. A great bike to learn on.)

BTW, I rode the GZ in to work today. I'm hoping I can have the discipline to ride the smaller bike when it is more appropriate for the job. It's funny - just a week ago, this was my Big Badass Motorcycle. Now when I get on it, I feel like I should have a rubber nose, white makeup and, perhaps, big floppy shoes. I can't wait until Lynda gets her M50. She is going to LOVE IT!!! And I will bet you she never rides the GZ again.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Moedad

Quote:
It's funny - just a week ago, this was my Big Badass Motorcycle. Now when I get on it, I feel like I should have a rubber nose, white makeup and, perhaps, big floppy shoes.
Hey now!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Moedad - did you pick up your "new to you" bike yet? Any bites on the GZ?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Moedad

Quote:
Moedad - did you pick up your "new to you" bike yet? Any bites on the GZ?
I probably won't pick it up until Saturday morning. Guys doesn't get back until Thursday night. Might be able to get it Friday afternoon, but Saturday morning is a more likely bet.

No bites on the GZ yet. Bad time of year to sell a used bike for a decent price. I priced it a little higher than I paid just to see what response I'd get (plus it has the windshield and recently serviced thing going for it too). I'm in no hurry to sell it. I may reduce the price by a hundred or two, but I can wait until spring if that's what it takes.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
I feel like I should have a rubber nose, white makeup and, perhaps, big floppy shoes
Did you just call all of us clowns?