Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #61
Gz Rider

Re: Got nailed by a jeep today

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #62
Water Warrior 2

Seems to me that Viirin will need a lawyer to sort this out properly.
On a side note. The BCIT(British Columbia Insurance Corp.) has an official way of doing things. Both parties are automatically at fault. If I am legally and properly stopped at a red light or stop sign and get hit I am 25% at fault automatically. Their reasoning: If I wasn't there I won't have been hit. I was there to be part of an accident obviously and should be penalized accordingly. BCIT is the only game in B.C. You must have it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #63
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Seems to me that Viirin will need a lawyer to sort this out properly.
On a side note. The BCIT(British Columbia Insurance Corp.) has an official way of doing things. Both parties are automatically at fault. If I am legally and properly stopped at a red light or stop sign and get hit I am 25% at fault automatically. Their reasoning: If I wasn't there I won't have been hit. I was there to be part of an accident obviously and should be penalized accordingly. BCIT is the only game in B.C. You must have it.

To a certain extent that is the way the American car insurance business works also. I could be sitting at a red light perfectly still, and a drunk driver could purposely swerve over and hit me because he doesn't like blue cars, and my insurance rate will still go up simply because I was "involved" in an accident, even though my "involvement" only consisted of me occupying the space that he drove through, its bulls@#t but it is the way it is. And trust me WW, it doesn't matter if you have other insurance company options or not, as all of ours here in the States are essentially in collusion with each other anyways, so having other insurance companies to "chose" from if you think you are treated unfairly doesn't mean squat.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
Gz Rider

Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #65
music man

[quote=Gz Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "music man":6sdp25af
all of ours here in the States are essentially in collusion with each other anyways, so having other insurance companies to "chose" from if you think you are treated unfairly doesn't mean squat.
The insurance commission in North Carolina decides on how policies can be/are written. Regardless of who you buy the policy from, it's the same policy. The only differences come in service. I doubt other states are any different.[/quote:6sdp25af]

That was exactly my point. Having a "choice" of insurance companies to chose from to get your insurance, doesn't mean that they aren't going to screw you or strong arm you with some bulls@#t, just like WW said they do up there because there is only one insurance company.

But the fact still remains that it is total B.S. and a HUGE fraud to charge me more for insurance because I am "involved" in an accident that I was 100% not responsible for. But it happens everyday. My wife got hit a few years ago by an uninsured motorist, he was found 100% responsible for the accident, but HER premium went up.

It is basically like you living in an apartment building and being arrested for drug dealing simply because someone else who happens to live in the same apartment building sells drugs, its totally ridiculous.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #66
mrlmd1

You have the option to sue the other party in the accident for your extra damages (like the premium hike) and any other unreimbursed expenses if the other party was judged to be 100% at fault, either by the police report or by witnesses. The lawyer should cost nothing, contingency fees. etc.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #67
Jvacustoms

Get well Soon! Glad you Survived to tell the story
Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #68
Gz Rider

Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #69
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

I agree on the "B.S." but you made (sort of) a bad example. If "sonny boy" is in possesion of drugs in your house, the house can be taken under "drug seizure laws". Not quite your example but yeah, there's alot of unfair sha-zit out there.

Not really because that point was more about what WW said, he said they basically find you partially at fault for simply being at that stop light, So just imagine in the example I gave, the cops and the judge telling you, well if you wouldn't have "happened" to live in the same apartment building with a drug dealer then we wouldn't have arrested you for drug dealing. Its a huge fraud.

But anyways we are basically making the same point, its totally unfair that they do that, and it doesn't really matter what insurance company you use because they all have to (or want to) follow the same bulls@#t laws.

Get well soon Viirin
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #70
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You have the option to sue the other party in the accident for your extra damages (like the premium hike) and any other unreimbursed expenses if the other party was judged to be 100% at fault, either by the police report or by witnesses. The lawyer should cost nothing, contingency fees. etc.

Yeah right. I had a cop hit me in his personal vehicle once, he had fictitious tags, not only did he not have insurance, but he presented the cop working the accident with an expired insurance card (also fictitious) (the tags and the insurance card were left in the car by the previous owner and he just decided to use them), which the cop working the accident didn't bother to look at close enough to see that, not to mention if he had run the tags or looked at the insurance card he would have noticed that they belonged to a white woman, and he was a black man. (awesome police work isn't it).

Anyways back to my story, he refused to pay for my car, so I took him to court and got a judgment against him for several thousand dollars, which he also refused to pay, so I tried to have his check garnished, well guess what, he already had 8 women garnishing him for child support, he had his other car that he didn't total hitting me and his house in his girlfriends name, so I couldn't touch his check because he had the federal limit taken out of it already every week, and I couldn't take his property because he didnt "have any". So he still owes me several thousand dollars from over a decade ago, and I will never see a penny of it, to top it off, i didn't have full coverage insurance or uninsured motorist (wasn't a hugely popular thing to have then like it is now), and had to pay to get my car rolling again out of my own pocket.

And that is about what you would run into every time, because the average person who drives around with no insurance, also has nothing else you can sue them for.