Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
blaine

Re: spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/11/ford-spark-plug-removal-tool-picture-of-fords-bad-design/
This explains it very well.

:cool:
Thanks for trying but I'm on dial-up. Is anybody surprised?
It was their 3 valve engine that had the problem.The 4.6 5.4 and the 6.8.The two piece spark plug typically comes apart, separating the main part of the spark plug from the huge electrode shield. Leaving the shield & electrode seized in the head.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Many of the newer vehicles have wireless ignitions systems with separate coils on each plug. Adds to efficiency and no need to replace wires that are probably the weakest point in the ignition system for many engines.
As an example of plug efficiency for a bike I had a wonderful surprise years ago. I fouled a plug on my KDX 200 two stroke. Popped in the spare plug, Platimun tipped or whatever was the apparent best according to opinion. Made the bike run like it was suddenly drinking steroids for fuel. The bike actually scared me for a while until I adapted to it's new found power and response.
I doubt that will be the case in more modern engines as the manufacturers try for the most efficiency. In the case of the GZ I would think it might benefit from a better quality plug. It is a price point bike and any higher quality/efficient plug might make a difference.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
music man

Quote:
Never forget to pop that hood before buying a car to see where stuff is.

Yeah well when you buy used cars you buy what is in your price range that runs good, doesn't really matter much where the spark plugs are, plus I had already owned one and knew what I was getting into this time.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Gz Rider

Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
Gz Rider

Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
Gz Rider

Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #28
blaine

Quote:

Thanks for the pic. As Dr. Mccoy once said, "I know engineers, they love to change things."

From the looks of it I'd say moisture get up between the plug extension and the wall of what I'd guess is the head, then they nicely rust together?
Yep.Your exactly right. :cool:

Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Gz Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":3kgp5bkc
As an example of plug efficiency for a bike I had a wonderful surprise years ago. I fouled a plug on my KDX 200 two stroke. Popped in the spare plug, Platimun tipped or whatever was the apparent best according to opinion. Made the bike run like it was suddenly drinking steroids for fuel. The bike actually scared me for a while until I adapted to it's new found power and response.
I doubt that will be the case in more modern engines as the manufacturers try for the most efficiency. In the case of the GZ I would think it might benefit from a better quality plug. It is a price point bike and any higher quality/efficient plug might make a difference.
A two stroke is so inefficient anyway, I could see a new plug vs. old worn plug making a huge difference. Also a slightly hotter plug might burn a little more of the fuel before the exhaust valve "opens".

I would think the GZ was very efficient as is. It's not like we are blowing unused gas out the exhaust (like a two stroke).[/quote:3kgp5bkc]
Actually the plug that fouled was a fresher standard plug. A very long downhill path with lots of switchbacks and no throttle munged up the plug.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #30
Gz Rider