Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
To help explain what this is all about.

http://front.moveon.org/the-occupywalls ... olbermann/
That is a lot of fixing. The situation has taken many decades to arrive at this point. I wonder if it is reversable ?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Gz Rider

Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's good to have a face to deliver that message, but I think that what they are looking for is whole shift is societal values. And for that to happen, you need more than just a few people protesting.

It's a good start, but it's years/decades away (without a revolution)

And for the record, I'm a Robin Hood supporter. So it's not like I'm against them or anything. But personal responsibility and grassroots cultural changes will make a larger impact than simply standing around picketing the rich folks.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Gz Rider

Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Completely agree.

I mean, look what happened to our own system of government. The founders set in place a perfect system, assuming that humans would band together for the betterment of each other and for their nation, not for themselves. Throw human nature into any equation, with all of its selfishness and greed and whatever else we have hidden in there, and you're going to wind up in a giant quagmire of doo-doo.

Great households need strong fathers/parents, great companies need strong CEOs and great causes/movements/governments need great leaders.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
mrlmd1

The whole problem is excessive greed. Money controls everything, until there's a revolution. But the greed and and the lobbying power and control of government of those 1%ers is horrendous and they really are oblivious to everyone at the middle or bottom of the pile that they squeezed to get there. And those Wall Street firms don't do anything, no manufacturing or providing of any valuable service, instead they concoct new ways to manipulate the market and make money, like derivatives, subprime mortgages to suck people in to spending more than they can afford, and betting on something to fail. Does anybody know what exactly a derivative is other than some kind of bad-ass scheme to make money?
And there was no investigation or prosecution of anyone of them that got this country into this mess. Not when they're in control and the politicians rely on their backing. Environmental destruction to make a buck is also the norm. This movement may not go anywhere right now but it may build into something really significant. The TEA party started like this, You would think that there would be some honest politicians who might pay some attention to their gripes and do something constructive, instead of blocking everything to do nothing except try and get rid of Obama so they can further their goals even more.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
5th_bike

Well it has been going on since September 17 and was completely ignored by the US mainstream media for two weeks. First time I saw OWS on TV was Oct. 1 on the Russian news and the French news, when hundreds were arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge.

The first US channel that I know reported it was Fox Oct. 2. The others (ok, I only checked ABC) followed within 24 hours.

Also our local paper the Baltimore Sun on October 2 had a little photo of some punk type in front of police on page 6 or something, with three quite meaningless lines under it, about the 400 to 1,000 arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. I remember searching their website for it Oct. 1, found absolutely nothing, and told my wife "if they're still not reporting about this, I'm going to cancel that newspaper." Lucky for them they did.