Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Rick

Petcock problem :O

I have run out of gas a couple of times (most recently today ), and both times when I switch to reserve it doesn't appear to be getting any more fuel. Today when I ran out I reached down and flipped it to reserve before the bike stalled hoping that it would just keep running, but it stalled and I couldn't get it started again until I filled the tank. I am sure that the petcock is pointing in the correct direction (I've read on here several times about the confusing pointer on the petcock). Also, once I put fuel in it, it runs fine with the petcock on either the "on" or "reserve" settings, so the petcock appears to be operating correctly. Any ideas? :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Petcock problem :O

Do a search and check the other threads on here for info on this and look at the pictures on here and the diagrams of the petcock in the parts fiche posted elsewhere and on Ron Ayers.
Is the tank empty when you run out?
The little tube extending upwards from the petcock from the ON position may have fallen off and you are draining the tank dry, there's nothing left when you switch to reserve to the lower shorter inlet tube. If this is the problem, you have to take off and drain the tank and remove the petcock to see this. The fix is easy once you see what happened.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Suzuki could have put a bit more thought into the petcock. The only difference in it's appearance is the slightly longer pointer/finger. It actually does point in the right position. Forward is "ON ". Rearward is " Reserve ". Downward is " Prime ". Page 2-12 in the owners manual.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Do a search and check the other threads on here for info on this and look at the pictures on here and the diagrams of the petcock in the parts fiche posted elsewhere and on Ron Ayers.
Is the tank empty when you run out?
The little tube extending upwards from the petcock from the ON position may have fallen off and you are draining the tank dry, there's nothing left when you switch to reserve to the lower shorter inlet tube. If this is the problem, you have to take off and drain the tank and remove the petcock to see this. The fix is easy once you see what happened.
This sounds plausible considering the symptoms. I did peer into the tank through the filler hole and I couldn't see any gas at all so it may well be completely draining. Guess I'll be taking the gas tank off......

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
This sounds plausible considering the symptoms. I did peer into the tank through the filler hole and I couldn't see any gas at all so it may well be completely draining. Guess I'll be taking the gas tank off......
Hope you see this before you start tearing things apart:

From the post by WW: Forward is "ON ". Rearward is " Reserve ". Downward is " Prime ".

AND if that is not the problem, then consider that you might just need to put the lever to "PRIme" for a few seconds to get fuel into the carb again after it has run dry BEFORE you try to start it in the RES position.

Last but not least: If you reset the trip odometer at each fillup and stop for gas about 120-150 miles, you will never have the problem again !! :biggrin:

Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Liisten to ER first, like he said before you disassemble everything. When you put it into reserve position, it takes a little while for fuel to drip into the carb, it's not immediate. But if you flipped it to reserve before the bike totally died, the tank was probably empty.And if it won't start again 'till you put in more fuel, the tank was probably empty.

Here's a picture from the parts fiche at Ron Ayers.
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... /FUEL_COCK
The taller upper tube may have fallen off and when the tank empties, there's no fuel to drain into the lower tube when switched to reserve. This could be your problem.
Somewhere on here is a picture of an actual petcock, but I can't find it right now.
And don't look into the fuel tank with anything other than a battery operated flashlight, because the innards of the tank may be the last thing you see. The vapors are explosive, not the liquid fuel.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Rick

Yeah, I've read on here somewhere about switching to reserve real quick when you hear the engine running out, so that's what I did, and it was switched before the engine had died. A few seconds later the engine died and I couldn't get it started in either the "prime" or "reserve" positions. I normally get gas at about 180 miles so this is pretty rare, but if I do run out again I'll see if I can get it started from prime or reserve setting. I may have been impatient and didn't give it enough time to get fuel back into the carb, I dunno. Anyway, I'll check out that diagram in case I need to take it apart.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
mrlmd1

You've run out of gas twice and it wouldn't start no matter what you did with the petcock 'till you put fuel in the tank. Now you're going to try it a third time. What's the old saying about an idiot being someone who keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result? Have fun, don't run out too far from a gas station. Or keep filling it at 140-150 miles if you get that far. don't wait 'till it's dry.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
alanmcorcoran

It's not about being an "idiot"... it's the pop-culture definition of being crazy.

Maybe it's just me but... I have moderately thick skin, and, I'm kind of a douchebag when it comes to other people's feelings, but I noticed some of you guys, while extremely helpful, are also kind of harsh in your comments. As valuable as your technical advice is, I can't help but think you are possibly running off the thinner skinned members when they don't get or don't follow your advice. Having some patience won't make your expertise any less valuable. Hopefully you can get some enjoyment in the giving and not take it personally when they don't follow it.

I *am* kind of an idiot, so I really don't mind getting a swift kick in the ass when I've done something stupid, but I like some variety and I hope some of the newer members will stick around long enough for us to hear their stories. We already lose a lot of people to aging and "got a bigger bike" syndrome.

I'm done now. Please don't hurt me.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

:plus1: :bow: :chop: