Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-24-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Bill

Saturday mornig to Fernandina

The weather was beautiful yesterday morning with temperatures in the low 70’s and clear skies. What a great day for a ride to Fernandina Beach for a late breakfast. Got dressed, fed the cats, checked over the bikes (fluids all good and nothing coming apart). Ready to get underway. In a few minutes we were at the Ferry to cross over the Intracoastal Waterway. We waited in line for about 15 minutes until the Ferry arrived from the other side. There were only about 20 cars waiting to cross with us and we provided a distraction for the kids and a few of the dads. Since we had never taken the Ferry across on motorcycles we didn’t know that we got preference to board. One of the crew instructed us to move to a bike lane and then directed us to board first. After a frustrating week I sure needed a nice relaxing ride and the pleasant treatment first thing in the morning is just what I needed to set the tone for the day.

The ride across only takes about 5-10 minutes and the captain and crew welcomed us aboard over the P.A. system. When the LOUD horn announced that the Ferry was getting underway I commented to my wife that their horn was what we needed to mount on our bike. That got a few grins from some of the other passengers. Once over to the other side we paid our tolls and waited for the cars to go their way to leave the road clear for us to enjoy. We had an open road past the beach with the waves just perfect for the surfers; through the salt marshes where the egrets, ibis, and wood storks were feeding; and over a few bridges next to the surf fisherman and saw a few decent sized fish pulled in. Lois took the lead. She rides a GZ250 so it is best that she set the pace where she is comfortable. Besides she always like to “blaze her own trail” so why not let her enjoy it today. She needs to de-stress too. We arrived in Fernandina with only one minor pucker. It seems that a few circles have been constructed at some of the intersections of these 2-lane roads and the locals haven’t quite figured them out yet. While going through one of them a truck at the yield decides to pull into the circle while another truck and I were in the circle. Fast brakes went on and then the bozo in front of me decides to back up. I pressed the horn steady hoping that he would hear. He did and then proceeded to show his embarrassment with the typical one finger arrogance. Well, no confrontations today. I’m riding to relax and I promised my wife that I would always be calm and pleasant on our rides together.

Once in Fernandina we rode past a small farmers market and decided to check it out. Once of the venders was selling homemade baked goods and Lois spied a tray of raspberry/almond muffins. Well, no use in suggesting we wait since we were going for breakfast. Glad I didn’t. It was worth the ride. We split one (they were really large) while relaxing in the shade. We wandered down the main street and walked in a couple antique shop to look at old stuff (much of it being items from when we were young – I didn’t think I was that old) to work off the muffin before breakfast. Eventually we rode to a B&B/restaurant for cheese omletts and home-fries. We sat near a couple of tourists who were starting their day too by sharing a pitcher of beer. After breakfast we thought we would use a coupon from an ice cream shop. What better way to finish breakfast/brunch (?) than with a hot fudge sundae”. Why not! Within 10 minutes we were at the shop. They had just opened a few minutes before. Mmmm! Dark chocolate ice cream with chocolate cover cashews, hot fudge, walnuts, whipped cream and a cherry on top! No sweets tomorrow.

On the ride back we passed a cycle shop so I turned around to check out a new Indian they had out front. I always liked the lines of them but have never seen one up close. Nice looking bike in white with some red accent. Now this may sound strange and I wouldn’t mind having one but for my needs and the fun I have on the C50 I have yet to stir up the “I just gotta haves” for another bike. I’m just not into having to get something bigger, newer, faster, etc. every couple of months. I have simple needs and limited funds and I am happy with what I have.

The ride back was just as beautiful. It was a great day! Maybe tomorrow another ride and the chores can wait.

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads