Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Bill

Atlantic Beach to Ocala and back.

I just got back from a quick round trip to Ocala this weekend to see a couple of old highschool buddies. I opted for a route that would take me through Ocala National Forest on two different roads (one on Sat. and the other on Sun.) for the round trip. I'm pleased to say wasn't dissapointed either time.

The weather was a little overcast but not threatening rain as I started out riding down A1A to St. Augustine. This two lane road skirts along the coast, at times under canopy and other times with views on your left as the waves roll in on the beach. Traffic was very light and I was able to relax and enjoy watching formations of pelican flying just above the water and osprey overhead with an occasional crew of vultures keeping the road-kill cleaned off the roads. Once across the Villano Bridge that crosses over the Intracostal in St. Augustine I made a quick turn onto US 1 for just a few miles before heading southwwest on 207. This was the only place where I would be on a 4 lane divided road but the ride was pleasant and there was minimal traffic. I would only take 207 as far as Palatka before my next turn. The plan was to take 20 for about 5 mile until it connected with CR 315 when I would head south through the Ocala National Forest. However, I got a little confused with the road signs and missed the connection. It took me a couple of extra miles off course but eventually connected to CR 315 anyway so no problems.

Now I was where I wanted to be. The road was great! CR315 is a two lane road that must have been resurfaced in the last couple of years - flat and smooth with no potholes or patches This would take me past farms, pastures, forests and some small villages. We're in cattle and horse country here so there were some beautiful views. Someone even has a small herd of longhorns. I forgot how big those horns get. I'm sure some of the cattle had a horn spread over 6 feet wide. What a day this was turning out to be. The sky cleared and the temperature was in the mid 70's. There was hardly anyone on the road so no worries about having to constantly watch out for the cages.

Just a couple of miles outside of Ocala the road ended at 40 so I took a right turn. Soon I made a quick left at the Water Park, then in 2 or 3 miles and a couple more right turns I was at my destination with a cold beer waiting for me when I rang the doorbell.

I came back today through the east side of the Ocala National Forest up the Salt Springs Hwy and then connecting to 19 before reaching Palatka. The road here was every bit as nice - 2 lanes and smooth. This one had a few more villages to pass through and some rolling hills so the scenery was different but still beautiful. Again there were very few cars and only a few small groups of riders to wave to as I pass by. There are no problems along this road for places to stretch your legs, get a bite to eat, or to gas up if needed. But certainly plenty of open road and (today) the kind of weather you always hope for. I'm not sure which road I enjoyed best. Guess I'll have to ride this a few more time to decide.

Look like I'll be making this ride more often to visit my friends as well as to scope out the National Forest for camping this fall. I think I'll also explore a little more down 19 as a long route to Orlando too.

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Sounds like a great riding day.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Badbob

Exploring might get you some practice riding in dirt. Around my part of the state it's not unusual for a county road to go dirt and back to pavement again.

I love riding back roads even in my truck. The GZ250 does this quite well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads