Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
monti0007

starter is not showing energy

I have this tool that lights up when touching wires to different electrical parts of the the bike, but when I touch the starter, it doesn't work. I was wondering if the starter is supposed to be grounded?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by monti0007; 08-31-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: starter, start, starting
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
raul10141964

the starter body make the ground and the wire on the side give the powwer when you are cranking
Old 09-07-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
tintankaussie

On my bike which is a marauda (not sure what the difference is to a gz-250)there is a safety switch on my kick stand and the clutch lever,so my stand needs to be up with me on the bike and pull the clutch lever in to make the starter work.painfull but safety so you dont start in gear standing next to the bike...ken

Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
alantf

Marauder is just the European name for the GZ. Most bikes have a name for the European model, and a letter(s)/number for the same American model. As for the side stand, you should be able to start the bike with the side stand down, and the bike in neutral. It's only when the side stand's down and you put the bike in gear, that the engine cuts out. This is to stop you riding off with the stand down. If the bike won't start, in neutral, with the stand down, you need to check it out.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
tintankaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Marauder is just the European name for the GZ. Most bikes have a name for the European model, and a letter(s)/number for the same American model. As for the side stand, you should be able to start the bike with the side stand down, and the bike in neutral. It's only when the side stand's down and you put the bike in gear, that the engine cuts out. This is to stop you riding off with the stand down. If the bike won't start, in neutral, with the stand down, you need to check it out.
As i always say,your never to old to learn.
i have by-passed my clutch lever switch so my son can start the bike for me,he is 13 yo and rides in the bush with me on our "bush bikes",few more years and we will be on the road together...Ken

Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti0007 View Post
I have this tool that lights up when touching wires to different electrical parts of the the bike, but when I touch the starter, it doesn't work. I was wondering if the starter is supposed to be grounded?
You're only going to see your tool light up when you are pressing the starter button. If the starter was always hot, it would constantly spin and try and crank the motor.

Try the same test with the starter button depressed.

I'm guessing you're having trouble starting the bike?