Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: LOWERING MY 2000 GZ250

I'll tell you right now, if i took that bike "stock" to an MSF course i couldnt do most of the maneuvers.

My buddy has a V-Rod and went right to the DMV testing with his dual sport dirtbike because the vrod was too long to make the tight figure 8.

Riders dying because they can't make a curve has nothing to do with handling of a bike regarding rake and lowering, it has to do with stupidity and taking a turn too fast. I can swerve just fine with my setup. It actually IS more stable the way i have it, lower center of gravity. Can i steer lock in as short a distance as a GZ or stock version of mine? Nope ... But honestly, the handling of the bike having the rear lowered 5" and the rake bringing the front down a few inches really settles the bike to an almost stock position and handling ability.

To each his own of course ... i dont knock stock bikes at all.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

To get back on track ...

Its been a while so bear with me ... if the GZ has a spacer in the front forks above the springs, you can take that out and that will lower the front. You can also put a shorter spacer made out of PVC in there to lower it wherever you want. We do this on the shadows to lower them. Again, im not sure if the GZ has that spacer or not.

For the rear .... start researching ... if you can find shorter shocks for another bike about the same weight that will bolt on, you're gold.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I'll tell you right now, if i took that bike "stock" to an MSF course i couldnt do most of the maneuvers.
I could. I used to practice that course on my Vulcan 1500 Classic FI. But that's beside the point. I've seen people do that U-turn box on Gold Wings and sport touring bikes with no trouble. These are people who take the Experienced Rider Course every few years, and practice the exercises on a regular basis. Experience and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Riders dying because they can't make a curve has nothing to do with handling of a bike regarding rake and lowering, it has to do with stupidity and taking a turn too fast.
It has to do with both. Stupidity and alcohol are indeed big contributing factors. So is inexperience. The person that started this thread is a new rider. I don't think that it would be good judgment for a new rider to handicap him/herself with less than ideal handling characteristics, particularly turning ability. When I was learning I made some mistakes that could easily have led to a crash, and good cornering characteristics of the bike saved me. I think tricked out bikes should be for experienced riders who are willing to accept some additional risk.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
sharon_koontz

O.K. Guys. We contacted a local Suzuki dealer who told me to lower the front fork tubes in the fork yoke. We did that, set the rear shocks on the lightest setting and it's helped alot but...we'd like to lower the rear by an inch to level the bike. We can't seem to locate 11" shocks that will fit the GZ 250. Both dealers said they don't get dimensions on any shock which makes it difficult to match a shock that will fit the bike properly and lower it by an inch. By the way have you guys ridden a GZ250 and do you know the top speed is only about 50mph and that they handle rather badly anyway?
We're just looking to do some putting around the Pa. back roads at 40-45mph so handling really isn't an issue. Besides, it is just a matter of getting used to how a bike handles. Thanks for all you're help so far now about those shocks........
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
bonehead

[. By the way have you guys ridden a GZ250 and do you know the top speed is only about 50mph and that they handle rather badly anyway?
We're just looking to do some putting around the Pa. back roads at 40-45mph so handling really isn't an issue. Besides, it is just a matter of getting used to how a bike handles. Thanks for all you're help so far now about those shocks........[/quote]
Mine goes way over 50mph.(well...not way over, but it will cruise at60-65 anyway)

Old 09-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Oh my. :popcorn: Sharon you best brace yourself after that last statement. I will now go for a ride to get away from the blast zone.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
sharon_koontz

I'm thinking NOS injection may be an option!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_koontz
I recently bought a 2000 GZ250 because it has a really low seat height which works well for me because I have short legs. I still would like to lower the bike by atleast an inch but have been unsuccessful at finding a lowering kit. Does anybody have any ideas?
Get some boots with thicker heels and soles......
Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
sharon_koontz

I already ordered some I was thinking about letting some air out of the back tire and putting about 50lbs of weight in each saddlebag. It may ride a bit mushy but at least my feet will touch the ground. Seriously, I am only 4 ft 10 and this bike is a bit heavy for me but I am determined to ride it safely. am taking the MSF training next week and I don't know what they will give me to ride so I need all the help I can get. I was told it will only do about 50 but I've only had it up to 35 so far. Sorry for the insult. My bad!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
JWR

Well, I did a 1410 mile trip a couple of weekends ago, and can promise you that a GZ will do more than 50.

You might get a Kaw. 125 for the class. It or a Rebel should fit you.

Have fun.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."