Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
alazar14

Re: Have questions GZ250 or Rebel 250?

The only problem with looking for bigger bikes is the fact they cost more money all around. Iv talked about this situation before hand on many other forums so ill say it here to. My budget is roughly $2600 for the bike used. I don't think I can get anything better than a 250cc with less than 20k miles used for that price. I would have $3200 but that would mean Id be riding with out any gear and only a helmet. I rather have the gear TBH. I basically don't even have the money to buy any tool kits, or even very good insurance. Basically bear bones $240 a year first time rider progressive stuff.

My money basically comes from Grants, Scholarships, and saved money in the last 3 years. I don't really work at all because I study full time and participate in my college's honors research program in psychology. Basically I'm stuck. Unless I can get lucky and find a Shadow or s40 for around $2500-$2600 used with low miles and in good conditions I'm kinda screwed as a student. I also have absolutely no credit to my name and no co signer. So I can't just buy from a dealership and make payments.

Also in California vulcan 500 is not sold so its near impossible to find used. And new.

As I stated before I'm not talking about LONG highway drives, I'm talking maybe 5-10min on the Highway at 65-70 mph. If the Rebel can do it Why couldn't this bike if its also a 250cc Is the engine weaker? Maybe the build quality is not as sturdy or full proof as honda's? Iv read many testimonials of people riding their Rebels at 75 mph for 50+ miles and still getting over 80,000 miles out of their bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I found a 1998 Suzuki Marauder 800 for $1700 (talked him down from $2000). All you gotta do is look and be willing to try to negotiate price. The economy is making this a buyers market, so you have more power than the seller right now.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
dhgeyer

I currently own a GZ250, and have owned a Honda Rebel, about 3 years ago. I have done fairly long rides on both. I think, to a degree, the top speed and mileage will vary a little from unit to unit. I am getting better mileage with the GZ than I did with the Rebel, 80's as opposed to 70's. The GZ will handle hills better. I think that is more important than top speed on flat ground. I am 6' 0" tall, and around 185. I didn't own these bikes at the same time, but to the best I can recall there isn't a big comfort difference between them. They both have fairly small, hard saddles. Being light, they both ride pretty hard on a bumpy road. Neither is ideal for long rides, but it can be done on either of them. Bottom line is, they are directly competing products, and are more alike than different. How long either will last probably depends more on how it is ridden and maintained than on any inherent differences between them.

There are some points in favor of the Rebel. Being a Honda, there are probably more dealers around for service if you don't want to do your own. They probably hold their value better, as they are very highly regarded.

There are some points in favor of the GZ250. It is far easier to service. The valves are easier to get to. The Honda has no oil filter to change, but it does have an oil screen that you are supposed to check and clean out. That oil screen is located such that you have to take a bunch of stuff off the bike to get to it. One piece of very bad design on an otherwise well designed bike. The GZ250 has an oil filter, located on the side of the engine. Easier to change than any other bike I have owned or know of. So, routine service on the GZ is very easy for anyone who can turn a wrench at all. The mirrors on the Honda are not far enough out. Depending on how you adjust them, they either give you an excellent view of your arms, or you can see out to the sides. You cannot see much behind you. The GZ has excellent mirrors, and they are well placed, far enough out that you don't have much of a blind spot and can see perfectly behind you. If there were no other differences at all, I would go with the GZ for that reason alone, as it is an important safety factor when riding.

Neither of these bikes is the fastest 250 out there. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 sells in the same price range used, at least around here. My daughter had one of those, and I got it up over 90mph one afternoon, on straight, flat interstate with no appreciable wind. It really will go that fast, and will cruise at highway speeds without straining, slowing down on hills, or risking engine damage. Even though the displacement is the same as the Rebel/GZ250, it's an entirely different kind of engine. It has dual carbs, and redlines at over 13,000 rpm's. At engine speeds over 10,000 you wouldn't believe it's a 250! Very fun bike to ride. Being a sport bike the riding position is different, and probably better for long hauls. It's fairly upright as sport bikes go, and it puts your feet under you for better control. The mirrors aren't very effective, though. They don't tend to be on sport bikes. The mileage on the Ninja can be in the 70's if you ride it like you would the Rebel/GZ. Out on the highway, or if you go out and have some real fun with it, the gas mileage drops into the 50's. Around here you can get a used Ninja 250 on Craigslist for a price that is well within your budget, depending on age and mileage.

Hyosung makes a couple of 250's, one a cruiser and the other a sport bike. Either is faster than either the Rebel or the GZ250. People tend to look down on the Korean bikes, but this is a mistake. They are very well designed and built, and are worth a look. Depending on whether or not there is a dealer in your area, they may be hard to find used, or to get parts for. Great bikes though, from all I have heard. I have not owned one, but a some of my friends have, and have had excellent luck with them.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
burkbuilds

I understand your financial pinch, I'm a full time student as well. If I had to pick a 250, my personal preference at 6'1" and based on the lower maintenance cost and ease of doing a lot of the regular maintenance items yourself without having to be a mechanic, would be the GZ250 over the Rebel. However, don't give up on finding a deal on a bigger bike, here's a Vulcan 500 in your area (well California, not sure exactly where you are) with less than 2,000 miles on it, the starting bid on e-bay is $2200 and there are 3 days left with no current bidders, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... otorcycles I found this in just a few minutes searching, you should try to find a deal on a slightly larger bike before you settle for a bike that you might be fairly uncomfortable on and therefore unhappy with in the long run. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
dhgeyer

The Vulcan 500 is a great bike, and, apart from not getting as good mileage and being a little harder to work on, would serve better in the long run than any 250. The 250's are better starter bikes, though. If there are any Ninja 500's around in the same price range, they would be an even better bet in the long run. I've owned both of those bikes also. Redding (where that Vulcan 500 is being sold) is about 665 miles from San Diego on Google Maps.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Just wondering which bike has the highest speed before the engine can get damaged.
If top speed is a significant concern for you, you are looking at the wrong bikes.....both of them.

The only one in the 250 class that can really "keep up" on the freeway is the Kaw Ninja 250. It is not really as much of a "sport bike" as it looks.

If you do much freeway riding, I would recommend a bigger bike, displacement wise that is.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
My current ride the Vulcan 500 consistantly gets 60 mpg combined driving mileage, so a little loss there but the comfort and power level for longer trips was a good trade off.
I love my Honda Shadow 600 but am kind of sorry I didn't ride the Vulcan 500 first. I think it may really be a better bike overall.

Mine has more chrome though.....and it looks "cooler" !! :neener: :biggrin:
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
mrlmd1

I like my S50 better, ha, ha. :poke2:
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
As I stated before I'm not talking about LONG highway drives, I'm talking maybe 5-10min on the Highway at 65-70 mph. If the Rebel can do it Why couldn't this bike if its also a 250cc Is the engine weaker? Maybe the build quality is not as sturdy or full proof as honda's? Iv read many testimonials of people riding their Rebels at 75 mph for 50+ miles and still getting over 80,000 miles out of their bike.
The GZ will handle 5-10 minutes at 65-70 mph no problem. What we've consistently said it that running a GZ at 75+ all day long, day-in and day-out, will dramatically shorten the engine life. I rode mine on the freeway quite often, and 50+ miles at 75 mph a number of times. Many of the members here have taken them on multistate trips. One guy from the LA area just north of you rode his GZ to Death Valley and back on the same day.

The GZ is every bit as sturdy and fool-proof as the Rebel, if not more so, and has better ergonomics. And if you're talking about a first bike, you can't go wrong with a GZ. It will make you happy.

That said, we're not trying to talk you out of a GZ, or even a Rebel. We're just trying to encourage you to think outside the box a little. There are inexpensive larger bikes to be found. I have a '93 Honda Nighthawk CB750 that cost me $1800 last January. It's got high miles (near 38k) but it's been well cared for and should go another 38k and more if I take care of it. Insurance (Geico) is cheap. My only gripe about it is that it doesn't get 70-80 mpg like my GZ did.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
dannylightning

bottom line from the general consensuses, the rebel has a top speed of 80mph and 75mph for the gz . when i had my gz i let off the gas when i got up to 75, felt like it still had more in it but the motor did not sound happy at that kind of speed so i never pushed it harder than that, and those kinds of speeds were only short burst

as moedad said running something full bore all the time is gonna shorten the life big time, so if you want to run it at full bore all the time your playing Russian roulette with you engine.

i now have a 800cc now, i try to keep that under 80mph, I had it up a little over 100mph once and it did fine and did not feel like it was running wide open yet but i would not run it like that constantly,

if speed is what you are looking for neither of these bikes would be the right application for you.