Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
music man

Re: Bobber? Bagger? Booger? What the....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Nice bike Sarris. There is something about a H-D that can not be duplicated by other manufacturers.

Yea the price and the big ass oil spot it leaves on the ground. :lol:

Just yankin' yer chain there Sarris, don't kill me. :poke2:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
emory70

i'm curious as to why people on this site bust on harley people for being jerks, when simultaneously, harleys are the favorite target of ridicule. the 70's were a long time ago.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70
i'm curious as to why people on this site bust on harley people for being jerks, when simultaneously, harleys are the favorite target of ridicule. the 70's were a long time ago.
most people that ride harleys seem to buy a harley for the social status, and think they are better than you cus they own a harley and you own a suzuki...

not saying every one is like that but a good amount of them are.. there are a select few harleys that i would love to have but i dont care what kind of bike you ride lol..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
burkbuilds

I see most Harley's ridden by two extremes around my neck of the woods. One is the Outlaw biker gang type of rider. I don't think they ride anything but Harley's. The

other is mostly, but not exclusively, the weekend rider that has a lot of income and feels the need to express their wealth with a status symbol like the Harley. I know a

few guys that fall between those two extremes that ride Harley's, but not the majority of Harley riders. Sarris, you are a great example of someone who found a great

Harley motorcycle and rides it regularly, not just on pretty weekends, and as far as I know you are not a gang member, and you don't strike me as extremely wealthy, but

I could be way off there. But most of the Harley riders I know are either gang members or upper income folks that just ride on pretty weekends once in a while. I'm not

trying to bash anybody here, this is just what I've seen most of the time. I went to school with a young man that rode a Harley, he didn't fit either of these categories

and he rode daily, but that is not what I see most of the time. Sarris sings the praises of his Harley for long rides, and I accept that as fact. Most of the Harley's I see on

the road vibrate so visibly, I don't see how the riders can stand it. So apparently Harley makes some great bikes, but some models vibrate a tremendous amount. Again,

not bashing, just my observations. To some people the cost of the bike is not an important issue. I mean, lets say you make a half million a year or more, what difference

could it possibly make to you whether you spent $10 grand or $30 grand on a motorcycle you only plan to ride on pretty weekends a few times each year? I'd guess that

the price would not be relevant to your decision, but the looks, sound and acceptance by your peers probably would be important to you, so you buy a Harley, because,

hey, who else does chrome as good as Harley? Who else sets up groups of people to just listen to their bikes and tell them if they like the way it sounds when it goes by?

Nobody. Who else has every conceivable option available in top quality materials, remember, price probably doesn't matter to you, well again, nobody but Harley

Davidson. Finally, who else has the reputation of "Made in America" for their bikes? There may be some others, but Harley is what comes to mind to most people and that

is an important factor in some people's decision, and I am personally glad that it makes a difference to them.

So, why do Harley riders have a reputation for not being friendly? Well, maybe it is simply because the two demographic groups that dominate the Harley market are not

groups generally known to be very friendly to others, gang members and the extremely wealthy. It is not that riding a Harley makes you unfriendly, it's just that the

biggest part of Harley purchasers are unfriendly types of people to start with, people who feel that either they have been rejected by others, the gang members, or people

that feel superior to others, the extremely wealthy. That certainly doesn't mean that riding a Harley MAKES you unfriendly. By the way, the 70's weren't that long ago

emory70, I still remember them. :biggrin: Edit: Okay Patrick, I fixed it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Every heard of the enter key? I got about three words into that post and gave up.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Hope we aren't starting a H-D bashing party. There are the Good, the Bad and the Ugly on every brand of bike. But I have to admit from personal observation that some folks are just plain nuts when they buy into the H-D thing. The Poser thing to be precise. A coffee bud of mine bought a new Harley and totally lost all sense and sanity. All of his clothing is now H-D. He is now looking for a bike for his wife who doesn't even want one.
He is a Poser to be sure. Last weekend he put in 2 eight hour shifts at Starbucks just so people could see his bike. DUH ! Maybe go ride the bloody thing.
Then there is another guy from a different group. He is a real rider and presently has a H-D. Travels all sorts of places and doesn't strut around like a peacock because H-D is his choice. He treats all riders the same b/c they are on 2 wheels and not in a car. He respects the other person's choice and actually knows what the bike is and what it can do. He is a Motorcycle Man and I enjoy his company with my coffee.
Then there are us adventure bike riders who fit a different group. We are mostly crazy and cheap.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #17
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70

I was joking dude, I give Sarris a hard time all the time about his Harley, Mainly because I couldn't afford one even if I wanted to, I honestly don't personally know anyone besides Sarris that owns a Harley (and I have never met him), so I really couldn't say whether they are nice people, assholes, or whether their bikes leave an oil spot or not.

It is just a long standing joke about Harley's being expensive and leaky climate controlled garage eye candy. Just like your average Harley rider thinks any japanese made bike is a hunk of cheap foriegn made garbage, even though Honda's/Yamaha's etc... stay on the rode just as long as any Harley (or longer) on the planet. Or the long running joke that all sport bike riders are thrill seeking neanderthals, is it true? no of course not, thats why they call it a JOKE!!

Just chill dude :bong:
Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Or the long running joke that all sport bike riders are thrill seeking neanderthals,
Okay, that hit a little too close to home. :skeptical:
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Or the long running joke that all sport bike riders are thrill seeking neanderthals.....
You mean they're not????

JK Patrick.....

:whistle: :neener:
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
ArizonaKev

I like WW had to say up there, and I agree completely. There are the good, the bad and the ugly in all circles of riders, and life in general. It does crack me up however when someone buys a Harley, and then COMPLETELY changes their attitude to try to be some "hard biker," when all they really did was buy a motorcycle.

I had a friend like that. He was about 50 yrs old, nice guy, mellow, laughed a lot. Pretty cool guy. Then, he bought a Harley - and all of a sudden he was WAY too cool to laugh, or be mellow, or goof around. He somehow "magically" transformed into a total badass, and it got so bad I couldn't even stand to be around him. I was left wondering, "who are you, and what the hell did you do with my friend?"

Now that's not to say that everyone who gets a Harley does that - thank God! But there are people who do, and I think it's pretty hilarious - unless they're your friend, and then it's tragic.

I have basically learned in the short time that I have been riding that, although I initially thought it was primarily just Harley riders who were stuck up and buttholes, in reality, it cuts across all lines. Just like how, out here in AZ, and I am assuming everywhere else, it is pretty much customary to give a fellow rider a low hand wave as an acknowledgment that you see him or her as you pass by in an opposing lane. Well, there are some people who are either ignorant of that custom, or just dillholes who think they are too cool to do it. And I used to think that most of those were Harley riders. After dropping my judgmentalness a bit, I started to realize that there is an equal ratio of that type of dillhole among all riders - d'oh!!!

So, I guess this is my post in support of Harley riders everywhere - one to make Sarris happy (at least as his grumpy old butt can be anyway! Ha ha :lol: ), and one to admit that I was being a judgemental dillhole myself, and now see everyone the same.

...except those guys who ride sportbikes - now they are some REAL assholes! Ha ha ha! JUST KIDDING everyone - you gott'a have a little fun, right? I know I do anyway :neener:

Ride safe all ....

AZ Kev