Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
oneyunguy

Heck, I even have removed the rear seat on many occasions. I plan to fill in the hole and permantly remove it. Noone I know can sit there anyway.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #12
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyunguy
Gee, that looks pretty cool. The black with the green works as it is. I have a hard time adding stuff to my bike, I like what a bike looks like alone the best. I usually ride with a webbed extra helmet tie down holding a 6-pack cooler bag with the stuff I need. That way, when I dont need anything, the bike is plain. Most things I add are hidden or REALLY needed.
Then you will probably like Bungee Nuts
Old 10-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #13
Badbob

Quote:
Gee, that looks pretty cool. The black with the green works as it is. I have a hard time adding stuff to my bike, I like what a bike looks like alone the best. I usually ride with a webbed extra helmet tie down holding a 6-pack cooler bag with the stuff I need. That way, when I dont need anything, the bike is plain. Most things I add are hidden or REALLY needed.

Then you will probably like Bungee Nuts. They replace the acorn nuts on your fender and shock bolts. Very easy to connect bungees especially tho type with the ball and loop designed for holding down tarps.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
Badbob

I prefer to ride the bike with nothing on it at all. I don't even like the sissy bar. However, for me this is not practical. If you only ride on weekends when the weather is nice, don't get to far from home, never go shopping on your bike, and don't stray to far from the beaten path this works. I ride every day weather and circumstances permitting. I ride pretty far off the beaten path. In spite of what the phone companies say most cell phones do not work very far out side of densely populated areas or major highways. If you have a flat you fix it yourself on the side of the road or get ready to do some serious walking. I take long rides occasionally. As much as 475 miles in a day so far. I need to carry tools and parts as well as rain gear clothing in some sort of secure lockable storage that can't be easily be removed with out tools. For commuting I want easy access I don't want to spend 40 minutes a day loading and unloading my bike. After trying lots of stuff I decided that this was the way to go. So far its working well except that the boxes are to small. My rain gear completely fills one box. I ride in the rain.

Why not adapt plastic boxes? There are plastic boxes available but after reading some stories about what happens to them when they hit the ground I decided that this was not a solution. They break spilling your gear and they are expensive. Sometimes very expensive.

Why not leather? Expensive! Not lockable. Not capable of carrying much weight. High maintenance. Can't keep the rain out of them.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
Badbob

Quote:
I would love to add a windshield, and BadBob you got in one of these photos, is the windshield I want!
I can't recommend this windshield. It's a Suzuki shield that came with the bike. Its annoying to adjust it and quick removal is not one its better points. It began cracking in less than six months and is now cracked in several places. It doesn't keep the wind off you very well. Most any after market windshield will work better and be lots cheaper. Check out National Cycle.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Badbob

Quote:
One of the ways to stop the handle from rattlin' is to keep it in the upright position. That wouldnt look bad in my opinion either.
The handles are not what is rattling. The contents rattle. I fixed this by using tool bags to line the box. Any sort of padding would probably work. The other thing that rattles is those bag supports hitting the box. Bumpers would fix this but if I do the brackets like I hope to this will take care of itself.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
Badbob

I isolated the rattle. Its caused by the saddle bag support. I inserting an LRF (Little Rubber Foot) between the support and the can stopped it. The handles rattle but only if you hit something large like a speed bump.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
Badbob

I was a bit concerned about covering up my side marker reflectors with the dark green boxes I decided to add some. I found some reflectors for $1.94 and put them on the rear lower corners. They are the same shape as the stock ones but a bit bigger. I got to looking at all the flat space on these things and got to thinking that's a lot of paces to put lights and LEDs are small.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #19
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
I'm gonna do the ammo cans. Anyone got any info on how to put a lock on them?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #20
Badbob

I did some thing similar to this.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/lo ... mocant.htm

Use all stainless steel parts if you can get them.

Use SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) boxes instead of 50BMG. They fit better and carry more.

Use lock nuts and RTV in everything that goes through the side of the box for security and waterproofing.

Replace fender bolts with bolts that have threads all the way to the head. Use long bolts and cut to fit after the box gets mounted.

Use regular nuts for spacers with the last one being a lock nut threaded on the bolt backwards.

Use fender washers coated with RTV inside and out.

Pad the bottom o f the box to prevent rattles when carrying small items.

Automotive fuel line makes a good cushion to prevent rattles.