Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Handguards

Finally found handguards for Happy Hobo's bike. PowerMadd makes enduro style guards with a single point attaching bracket. This was a decision maker because I didn't want to remove the vibration dampeners on the bars and have to discard them. The PM bracket attaches between the grip and control perch for the brake or clutch. The guards have a removable top half panel that expose a molded plastic mesh for better cooling in the summer but still offer protection from debris. Also got the extensions that give even more coverage for cold wind and rain. They just snap into place to give a higher wider area than the smaller removeable panel. Hope this explanation makes sense. Ordered them from Rox Speed Fx and was satisfied with the service. Talked to Ryan there to clear up some cross border thing and all was well.
Now just have to wait for warmer weather to do the install and send Lynda out for a test ride for hand protection. The combination of grip heaters, handguards and a heated vest from WarmGear should extend the riding season a bunch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I've often thought about how those enduro style guards would help with cold wind.

Do you have photos?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hoping to do some pics after the install and then talking Lynda into working her magic on the computer. I am a total loss at trying to post pics. Digital cameras and computers are beyond me 99% of the time. Been told it is a mental block of sorts. I wouldn't own a computer if it wasn't for the info about bikes and friends with bikes. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I knew about the bike forums and such.
Do a search on the web for PowerMadd handguards and look up the enduro style with the added extensions. They have a nice little demo of the handguard configurations with the removable panel and extensions.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
cleensmoke666

heated grips

where do you get heated grips from and how do u power them
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Re: heated grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleensmoke666
where do you get heated grips from and how do u power them
Check August26/07 on this thread. Will also try to find my install info here somewhere.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Hmmm. Can't seem to find my write up on the install. I know I did write it up somewhere. I think the only thing I can add to the other post about the install is the relay position. I accidently found that the relay(Little square box)will fit a round hole. The round hole is the end of the frame back bone. Relay will fit snuggly in the hole with just the connectors sticking out. Nice cause it is close to the battery and is a short run with a fuse holder from the positive post. Ditto for negative. Also the wiring for the grips from the relay run nicely under the tank. Note* You will be best to run the grip heater negatives to the battery neg post. Grounding to the bike itself can be a later problem cause of dis-similar metals in the bike.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Question before I attempt the handguard install. I am sure that a little more space between the grip and lever perch will be required. Do the 250's have a positioning tab on the perch to fit into a small hole in the bar ?? If not then I can just slide the perch a wee bit inboard and fit the guards. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. I would rather be fore armed than get stopped by a little piece of plastic.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
gzrider

Re: Handguards

This is my installed handguards,It was simple , I just loosened the mirror mount ,moved it over 1/2 an inch, sandwitched the hand guard mount in , tightened it in the angle I liked, mabye 10 mins total.There was a problem on the clutch side,the starter cut out that is by passed when you pull in the clutch wouldnt work. It was beacouse of the shape of the lever with the addition of the guard mount bracket didnt allow the lever to come in by a fraction and the switch was just shy of being activated. I just removed the switch, and sniped a tiny piece of the tip off with a wire cutter, reinstalled it and all was working. On the highway at nite you realy notice the difference, it was worth the $29.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Re: Handguards

Had the same problem with the stater/clutch thing too. I just took a small flat file and created a small flat spot on the lever where it touched down first. Didn't have to mess with the safety stuff and create a bad moment later on for Lynda.