Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Sarris

Tunes

I finally purchased and installed an audio system on the GZ. It consists of chrome mini bullet speakers and a 100 watt (50 watts per channel) mini billet amplifier from http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/ and was $399 + shipping (they have some with physically larger equipment for less money). I then bought a Sansa 2 GB mp3 player from Walmart for $50. I have put 300 mp3's on it and it is not yet full and it also has FM radio and Voice Recorder. Man this thing sounds awsome. I know I'm pissing away my kids inheritance, but tunes on the bike are the only way to go.

I wired the amp directly to the battery and added an on/off switch (from RadioShack) to avoid any wiring problems tapping into the harness. Other than the power tap, all the wiring was included and was plug & play. The only problem was that the P-clamps for the handlebars come in 1" only, so I bought some 7/8" ones from Kuryakyn.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Orpheus

That is awesome. If I could do it for about half the price you paid, I'd do it tomorrow. What about the power drain? Are you sure that it won't be a problem?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Sarris

Tunes

I haven't had it long enough to know about battery drain yet, but direct wired and switched is definately better than tapping into the wiring harness. Plus, the amp only draws about 1 amp.

Go to the web site I listed in the first post as they do have some audio rigs for half the price. Gotta have tunes!!

:2tup:

Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
So what kind of music do you blast into the public air on the back of a GZ?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Sarris

Tunes

Well, I've been a rock guitarist for around 35 years, my taste runs from the Beatles to Metallica. I really enjoy hard rock and metal from the 70's and 80's best, but I also like heavy metal from all eras. I don't care for death metal, trash metal, hip-hop, rap, or country. I'm a head banger from way back.

In fact, I just liquidated my guitar collection, selling 13 electric guitars, 4 bass guitars, and 6 amplifiers. I currently still own an American Custom Shop Strat and American Custom Shop Tele, as well as an Ovation Acoustic. I'm also down to just 2 amps, a Fender Concert Reverb and a Sovtek MIG 50 Midget. I have probably played in 20 or so bands over the years with the last one just last year.

I discovered a long, long time ago that Architecture pays a hell of alot better than rock music. So music and motorcycles are my main hobbies now.

Oh yeah, I do BLAST it!! F**k 'em if they can't take a joke.

Sarris

Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
music man

I always thought you were cool sarris now I know you are. So you listen to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, Metallica, Megadeth, all that jazz huh.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Sarris

Tunes

Yep.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Orpheus

Re: Tunes

Sorry to resurrect a thread this old, but I'm working on a Xmas list to give to my parents and I just thought about this again. Anybody found any cheaper speaker systems around anywhere? I'd like to find something under $100 ($50 would be perfect). It could just be some portable, battery-powered MP3 speakers that I can rig up to the handlebars, but I need them to be able to get pretty loud. Any ideas?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
mrlmd1

Looks great, but you're not riding with a helmet, right? Do you think you'd hear any of that with a helmet on or would you have to blast out the neighborhood to hear it wearing one? Can you hear it at 50+mph on the road with the wind or just when riding slowly around town? Is it not easier to have on an ear bud ( you need at least one ear uncovered to hear your surroundings, according to most DMV laws, can't ride with headphones on). So many questions, so little time.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Is it not easier to have on an ear bud ( you need at least one ear uncovered to hear your surroundings, according to most DMV laws, can't ride with headphones on). So many questions, so little time.

I never understood that law. I ride with noise cancelling earbuds in both ears, and I can actually hear a siren or horn BETTER with those on and music playing that I can in my car when I have the stereo cranked (which is what I do every time I drive a car). The earbuds actually block out a lot of distracting noise such as the wind and most but not all of the engine noise.