Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
sheikh2

anyone know where to get GZ ACC. for the bike

I want to find out if i can replace my 2001 GZ gas cap with another gas cap that tells me how much fuel is left, and if there is a device that i can attach that will tell me how high my rpm is at. and other things as well

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: anyone know where to get GZ ACC. for the bike

I don't think there's a gas cap modification like you're asking about, but several forum members have added tachometers to their bikes. I think it's stickied in the Modification Forum.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
sheikh2

yeah i just saw those post with those tachometers, thatll help me out good, and yeah i looked everywhere for new gas caps but didnt find one that reads the fuel, i know its possible, because my cousin has this ATV and the gas cap has a needle on it and everything. i cant remember if it works with the pressure or if theres a stick hanging from the gas cap, and if it was a stick then it wouldint work with the gz because of the way the gas tank is shaped =( theres gotta be a way to tell how much gas the tank has

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh2
theres gotta be a way to tell how much gas the tank has
You reset the trip odometer each time you fill up. When it reaches 120 miles, you have used about 2 gallons and, to be safe, it is time to fill up. Not too difficult, really.

You can even extend the mileage to fit your personal level of risk. :biggrin:
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I usually have to put it on RES at 150 miles.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I waited until 160.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

The past three tanks I've gone into the 180s and not hit reserve. I fill up then anyway.

I know they make a gas cap for lawn mowers that has a float in it. In the cap there's a F \ | / E gauge. As the gas level moves up or down the float moves with it. The float then turns the gauge in the cap. An inventive person could possibly reengineer it to work with a bike. However the float is very sensitive and whenever the gas level changes it moves the gauge. So when the gas is sloshing around so is the gauge.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
hot_lava

hey how do you reset the trip odometer?? i can't find out how to do it in the manual and searched the area and didn't see anything jumping out at me... help?

so far my gas gauge has been the sound of sloshing gas when i wiggle the bike back and forth... works pretty well actually.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
music man

:??: You look on the side of your speedometer, there is this little black knob, twist that knob until you get all zero's on your tripmeter.

As for the gas gauge on the cap thing, you are right some lawnmowers and 4-wheelers do have those floats on them and all that, but it ain't going to work on your bike, because no matter what you do you are not going to get that float to go anywhere near the bottom of the tank,. Now I am not saying that you can't make one work some other way, but just not that way.

Have you ever looked in a 4-wheeler or lawnmower gas tank that has one of those, there is nothing but space in there, no big hump in the middle of the tank, and most importantly, right up under the gas cap is where the hump is almost at its closest point to the top of the tank, it just wont work.

But I did get a gas gauge to work on mine, I reset the trip meter with every tankful of gas, stop every 150 miles or so, fill up with gas, then repeat.....

Later
Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I think it's pretty obvious that a gas gauge isn't really feasible on this bike, nor necessary.

The only way that I can see this working is to have an electric gauge that is fed information through a sensor in the bottom of the tank. This would require boring a mounting hole in the underside of the tank and finding a place to mount your gauge.
Other than that, I don't think you're going to get a fuel gauge. Like everyone else has said, the float controlled gauges wouldn't be accurate, not to mention almost impossible to fit.