Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
First Jaunt with the KZ550!

Well guys, just got back from my first real ride on the KZ550.

The ride actually started out with me running to the local inspection station to get my bike inspected. Gotta have a street legal bike, ya know! After that I ran down to the local Kawasaki dealer to see about getting my rivet master link installed on my chain (*gasp* $32 minimum... might just buy the tool and do it myself!). I then decided to run about 10 miles up the road to an independent motorcycle shop and see what they could do about the chain. Unfortunately, it seems like one of the guys quite and he took a bunch of the specialty tools with him including, you guessed it, the chain tool.

So, having failed miserably at two placed I decided to just go for a ride. Hopped on the bike and took the scenic route back to my little unincorporated town, got back on Route 60 and took off. Rode for a bit then decided to turn around and come back home. All said and done I put about 30 miles on the new bike, which I guess is a pretty decent shakedown ride where I was actually able to get her above 35 MPH, haha.

So, all's good, except for one thing. I got home and as I was inspecting the bike I noticed that there was gas all over the 4th carbs float bowl. I'm not sure if its leaking through the gasket (which is new) or from the overflow. I should probably look into that when I get a chance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: First Jaunt with the KZ550!

Good for you. A shake down ride is good for the soul.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

How much are those chain tools? I have a couple of the bicycle chain version (one for each of my bicycle's tool kits) but I'm guessing the difference in link size between a motorcycle and a bicycle probably translates into a much higher price. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it wasn't much.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I looked up some prices and think I'll either pay the $32 or keep the clip master link. They run $50+.