Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
leonj2932

Irate Issues with turning signals

Hello all , I am currently having lighting issues with my 2007 gz250 . I used my emergency lights after getting lost and after turning the bike back on all turn signals wear dead . and the turn signal indicator light (the small green one) was no longer working. First of all all my lights except headlight and rear brake light (only when brakes are applied ) still function. This means that my brake light will only light up if i apply the brake . Is that normal ?? I remember it always on before. none of my turning lights work . or stay on at any time. So i replaced all the turning light bulbs with bulbs from autozone, the front turning signals are now always lit up . The rear turning signals still will not function even with new bulbs !! and the turning light switch to indicate which way I am going doesn't seem to work . I push the switch left or right and neither the front or rear turn signals flash. Can you guys please help me? I have searched endlessly and have found no answer to this problem. I cant ride my motorcycle anymore because i use it to commute and i cant possible keep risking riding at night without any form of lighting in the back . Please help , dont just refer to other forums or posts. Thank you all in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
blaine

Your brake light should only come on when brake is applyed (Thats correct) But the tail light part (Double contact bulb 1157) shpuld come on with key.....Did you replace front bulbs with double contact 1157 & rear with 1156 single contact?Also sounds like you have a couple blown fuses.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #3
leonj2932

Thank you very much for your input , i did replace all turning signals with the exact sizes you mentioned , . So the rear brake lights guy is never on besides when I apply the brake ??? I though it was just like cars when there brake lights are on at night . I will buy a circuit teser to check the fuses unless you know of another way to check them . Thank you again for your help

Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonj2932 View Post
I though it was just like cars when there brake lights are on at night .
Never heard of that one. Rear lights are usually double filament, eg 5w/21w. At night, when you switch on your lights, the lower wattage filament lights up so folks can see you. When you apply the brakes, the higher wattage filament comes on, to show folks that you're stopping. If it was on all the time, it'd kinda defeat the object, don't you think. Dunno where you got the idea that brake lights(note the term "brake" lights) were on all the time.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Never heard of that one. Rear lights are usually double filament, eg 5w/21w. At night, when you switch on your lights, the lower wattage filament lights up so folks can see you. When you apply the brakes, the higher wattage filament comes on, to show folks that you're stopping. If it was on all the time, it'd kinda defeat the object, don't you think. Dunno where you got the idea that brake lights(note the term "brake" lights) were on all the time.
I think just a mix up in terms.....Parklight/running light (On all the time bike is running) Brake light (On when you put brakes on)

Old 05-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
leonj2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
That's eaxvatly what I mean originally but didn't know how to say it . My brake light was only turning on when I applied pressure . Other then that it would be completely dark . I knew for sure that It was supposed to be on all the time ( the lower filament your talking about ) and then get brighter when I applied brake pressure . I replaced the bulb and cleaned contacts and it work great now .
Old 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Vegas Street Rider

You are making progress and learning about your bike. It can be frustrating at times but also rewarding when you figure it out. And remember, we are here to help as we are able to.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonj2932 View Post
Thank you very much for your input , i did replace all turning signals with the exact sizes you mentioned , . So the rear brake lights guy is never on besides when I apply the brake ??? I though it was just like cars when there brake lights are on at night . I will buy a circuit teser to check the fuses unless you know of another way to check them . Thank you again for your help
As stated you should have your park light & than brighter brake light when you put brakes on......You can check fuses by sight & look for Burnt/broken fliment (Same as a bulb).

Old 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Paul V.

Nod bulb, or wiring prob?

My light, green turn indicator, quit working. First I thought the bulb was burned out

But I remember, I had moved the handlebars; I rotated them up -- so I my arms could be straighter when riding. So should I make the effort of getting the bulb out of there? (and if yes, how-to!.. I can see turns reflected off headlight fixture (chrome).

Not sure which way to go.
Tnx in advance

Last edited by Paul V.; 07-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
spldart

Just found this out today.
in the fuse box, looking at it from the left side of the bike...
Right row third down 15 amp fuse.
It will kill signals, brake light, horn and indicator lamps.
That's on a 2000 model.
But Headlight, front and rear running lights still lit.

Tags
electrical, problems