Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
GreaseMonkey0341

Gear reduction

Hello folks. Well I've searched and searched and can find only one fleeting mention of a 14t front sprocket as merely a suggestion. Well this is exactly what I would like to do and wondered if anyone had done this.

This bike will not see the parkway or highway and even if it does the speed limits around here are 45. It is strictly a local road commuter bike and I want passing and light to light power not top speed. I may, depending on how the bike reacts, also go up one or two on the rear.

So if anyone has played with gear reductions at all i would appreciate feedback.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey0341 View Post
Hello folks. Well I've searched and searched and can find only one fleeting mention of a 14t front sprocket as merely a suggestion. Well this is exactly what I would like to do and wondered if anyone had done this.

This bike will not see the parkway or highway and even if it does the speed limits around here are 45. It is strictly a local road commuter bike and I want passing and light to light power not top speed. I may, depending on how the bike reacts, also go up one or two on the rear.

So if anyone has played with gear reductions at all i would appreciate feedback.
Welcome......I would assume the 14T would give you a fair bit more bottom end.I went to a 16T for lower RPM while cruising & found quite a difference.I would think that a 14T would make 1st all but useless..

Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey0341

I'm definitely prepared for a useless or very short first gear. If need be I'll just start in 2nd or further reduce it to make 2nd my 1st. I much prefer a 4 speed anyway.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quite frankly I don't see a problem with the gearing. If you need a little added zip at 45 mph just drop down one gear and twist the the throttle. You don't have to be in top gear all the time. Use the tranny in a gear that will give you the most zip at any given speed.

As an intown and local roads bike the GZ is geared pretty well spot on in my opinion.

Another option may be a 16 tooth front sprocket and never use 5th gear. There is your 4 speed for the price of a sprocket. A lot of riders prefer the 16 teeth up front as the gears reach further into their speed range. Hope this makes sense to you.

As a commuter you will find the GZ quite a tidy little gem. Comfy, nimble and very forgiving.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey0341

Thanks for that feedback. I completely understand the advantage to having longer legs in a particular gear. And I also understand downshifting is simple enough. I plan to ride the bike first and see what it feels like.

My problem is my commute is all very aggressive drivers on a mostly one lane and very populated road. Busses, three schools, garbage trucks, delivery trucks, 2 construction sites, all in a 6 mile stretch. Being able to blip the throttle without having to downshift will be my advantage on this road. Cars have and will attempt to pass me on the left on the wrong side of the road if I slow down due to a clogged lane and I can't take that chance of not being able to get out of the way.

But I will definitely get my own impression first before I swap the cog. The price isn't a concern. Thanks again for the feedback. It looks like not many if any people have gone down a size so if I decide to do it I'll let you guys know how it feels.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
GreaseMonkey0341

The bike won't see much more than 35-40 unless I'm feeling frisky so it will most likely spend most of its life in third or neutral. Lol
Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
chandlerbingfl

16T if you're comfortable w/ 65mph and less. Gearing becomes more useful throughout the range in my opinion.

chandlerbingfl