Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Graydog

How to make a tank bib/bra

HOMEMADE TANK BIB/BRA

Cost…Under $25

The materials I used: Faux leather, chrome studs, lacing, & leather glue.
You can purchase these items at a hobby shop such as Hobby Lobby,
Michaels, or Tandy Leather.

I made several different shaped patterns/templates using card stock.
Placing them on the bike helps you decide what looks best. Then cut out
the pattern you like. Edges can be a little rough if you are going tohide them
with lacing. Gas cap hole can be inexact as long a the cap will hide it.

Studs go on next before adding the backing. The back is just a mirror of
the top piece that protects the paint from the prongs on the studs. Glue them
together and place something heavy on top until glue dries. Punch holes and lace.
I put tie off strings made out of the lacing material at the front and rear of the bib.
You can do this during the lacing by slipping the tie strings into the lacing
and them dangle out. There are numerous places on the bike to tie off.

Finished. Actually this is an experimental bib and I will only keep it on the bike
for a while before making one out of leather.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Sarris

Your Bib

Really looks good. One suggestion I would make is to extend the bib down the front of the tank like a commecial bib so you can tie it around the frame. It will fit tighter and not flap in the wind. Also, you can use a paper single hole hand punch for the edge lacing. Mine is punched at 3/4" intervals.

Here is a picture of my Chilhowee bib fastened at the front. Very secure.

Here is a picture of mine from a distance.

Just a friendly suggestion as I've had a herd of these and they've all been fastened at the front.

:2tup:
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Orpheus

Interesting... Might be my next project whenever I get some free time (although I'll probably do something different than the lacing around the edges).

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Graydog

Sarris, Looks like your Chilhowee may be sewed along the edges before the lacing is put on. Is it one piece? Most bibs are. The lacing is close because it is actually holding the two pieces together. It is double because I didn't use real leather. I tried the hole punch but wiped out the only one I had on real leather long ago. It is fastened at the front with two tie offs. Sure like yours but can't afford it on a fixed income.

The lacing is the time consuming part Orpheus and except for looks I would avoid it too if possible.

This one won't last long as it is cheapo "rubber" faux leather.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Sarris

The Bib

Its actually wide grain buffalo hide on top sewed to a soft suede backing. It's very thick and stiff.

Here is an economy rotary leather punch for less than $10. You'll probably find it handy.

http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchan...ory_Code=LHTPU

Looks good and keep up the good work.

:chop:

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Graydog

Re: The Bib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Its actually wide grain buffalo hide on top sewed to a soft suede backing. It's very thick and stiff.

Here is an economy rotary leather punch for less than $10. You'll probably find it handy.

http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchan...ory_Code=LHTPU

Looks good and keep up the good work.

:chop:
Thanks. Going to the local Tandy store over the week end to pick up a new punch and some real leather, but have bookmarked that page just in case.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydog
The lacing is the time consuming part Orpheus and except for looks I would avoid it too if possible.

This one won't last long as it is cheapo "rubber" faux leather.
I'm thinkin' real leather with some different type of edging. Haven't really looked into it yet, but I want to keep it relatively simple. I'll post updates here whenever I get it started.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
SpiritOaks

Re: How to make a tank bib/bra

Hi guys! I must have a thing for posts from 2008. ROFL Nice work Graydog and Sarris! I love seeing people create their own pieces.

I plan on making one of these myself probably...as well as the tail piece..probably a tank bag (already have the rare earth magnets) and of course have my plans for shaving and reupholstering the seat with real leather.
I know it's probably way late for you guys, but any future people reading this, it might be a good tip for...buy your supplies off of eBay instead of from Tandy (not trying to take business away from Tandy or saying they are bad) because you can find TONS of scrap leather for almost dirt prices...often sold by weight, or volume. It's a really big difference in price and quality. As an example... for the supplies needed for this project...in real leather....even Buffalo, it would be around $5, possibly less (but then I also buy larger amounts at one time to avoid running up shipping prices. And they have EVERY kind of animal leather at that....as well as fur scraps. I hand cut all of my own lacing as well...from the scraps. I do also buy at Powwows when I go. I have yet to be able to make myself cut into a complete leather hide...just....can't....do...it. :shocked: :horse:
For a little background on me and my knowledge of this...I make Native American "inspired" (I'm not offically native...so it is illegal and immoral to claim so) Medicine/Fetish/Tobacco bags...plus all handmade Dreamcatchers, stone fetishes (not that stone has anything to do with bikes lol)...and basically anything that can be made from leather, fur, feathers and animal and/or plant (vine and "raw" wood) parts.
I have one of the old leather punches and could not live without it...although I did for the first few years of my creating. I simply used an awl. A really good pair of seamstress scissors is also essential, especially helpful when cutting lacing...unless of course you are blessed enough to actually own a lacing cutter. Oh and cannot forget the sinew...manmade of course...the real deal is expensive and hard to find.
I am so psyched about making my own pieces...just need to clear out a bunch of clutter so I can get back to making this fun stuff...heck I may even have a new avenue of creation...custom bike bibs and tails! :2tup: I also have a slew of special feathers set aside to add to my leather jacket. I've been picking up feathers for YEARS. lol
If anyone would like to see the type of stuff I make, my OLLLLLD work can be seen at my old website...
http://www.whitebearcreations.com
This site has not been updated since 2001...so keep that in mind, but it will give you an idea of what I make.
[center:2upkx24c]Oort Gray Metallic YHG[/center:2upkx24c]