Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Buying a new bike? Here's a handy guide

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Buying a new bike? Here's a handy guide

I ran across this while researching bikes before I bought my GZ and it was invaluable. There are a lot of things here that may not be possible with a first look at a bike, but perusing this list a little bit before you go is VERY helpful and can remind you of warning signs to look for at first glance.

...especially, if you're looking at a sportbike, the warning signs of stunting and racing are an absolute must read.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Oh my this is a long read but chalk full of valuable info. About 10 years ago when I considered getting back into riding I found a good case for the "new riders info section". The salesman thought I would need a Ninja 600 because I wouldn't have enough power to pull out and pass on a Ninja 500 twin. Yup, that's what I would need. A 140 mph bullet on 2 wheels to get back on the road. I'm pretty sure if he had said starting smaller and upgrading later would have got him at least one sale instead of no sale. As it was I tripped over the Vstrom 650 one day and bought it. It had slightly more than half the ponies of a 600 sport bike and was plenty for me. For all the newbies out there: a smaller first bike is far better and safer. You don't need a lot of power to ride.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Oh my this is a long read but chalk full of valuable info. About 10 years ago when I considered getting back into riding I found a good case for the "new riders info section". The salesman thought I would need a Ninja 600 because I wouldn't have enough power to pull out and pass on a Ninja 500 twin. Yup, that's what I would need. A 140 mph bullet on 2 wheels to get back on the road. I'm pretty sure if he had said starting smaller and upgrading later would have got him at least one sale instead of no sale. As it was I tripped over the Vstrom 650 one day and bought it. It had slightly more than half the ponies of a 600 sport bike and was plenty for me. For all the newbies out there: a smaller first bike is far better and safer. You don't need a lot of power to ride.
I'll second what WW has to say. I started with the GZ as it was a great bike to learn on.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
burkbuilds

Hey, that's a lot to read, but well worth your time. Thanks for sharing this and I'll add my agreement to the previous thoughts on starting out with a smaller bike and moving to larger bikes as your skill level improves and you understand more of what you personally want out of a bike, what you like and what you don't like.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

Long but great article. Good information for my next bike.