Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13
Changing the oil cover gasket

OK, so since I stripped the screw on the oil filter case I decided to just replace the whole damn side cover. Now, this isnt a hard task at all, but apparently getting the correct gasket from suzuki is, over 2 months and 3 different gaskets later I get the right one.

Anyway, this really isnt hard to do at all, and i recomend doing this to high mileage bikes just to clean out oil gunk and any debris, also to just give everything a good looking at. I didnt take too detailed of pics because I didnt plan on this being in the how-to's but why not? I replaced the whole thing, so it was a little different but shouldnt make to big of a deal.

1. Drain the oil as well as you can. Now is a great time to do an oil change (considering there will be no oil left when youre done). With the case you can use some engine cleaner and compressed air to get everything blown out.

2. Remove the right foot peg assembly. I didnt at first thinking that I could get by, but ended up having to anyway. Also, I had an extra challenge since the lowest bolt is half gone from leaning so far. 2 bolts and its off.

3. Brake all bolts loose carefully. No biggie here.

4. IMPORTANT! As you take the bolts out of the case, have some way to remember where they go. Some are short, others long. Since I had a new case, I just set them into the holes as I took them out and once the old cover came off, transfered them over to put the new cover on. Also, there is one pain in the ass bolt near the bottom rear of the engine case where it sits behind a bracket for your brake cables. Youll need an 8mm wrench for this one (and some extra patience).

5. I found it easiest to remove the oil filler cap and put a finger in there, you have to pull straight out because of 2 posts.

6. Remove the old gasket. I had to use a razor scraper to get it off because one side has this ungodly epoxy from what I can see on the new one. Once I had it off I used some fine (400 grit) sandpaper to smooth everything out.

7. I put the gasket onto the engine using the 2 posts to hold it in place, then set the case back onto those post. I put a bolt into each "corner" of the engine to hold it, hand tight then put the rest in the same way. I tightened them all down by hand then used an up/down pattern to tighten them, finishing by going around the case skipping every other one till I got them all

8. Change filter, add oil and enjoy!

Tools: 8mm (I think) socket and wrench, razor scraper, 17mm socket for oil plug, 10mm socket for oil filter (again, cant be 100% sure), sandpaper, oil catch and rags.
Scraping the case took the longest, and im sure there are better ways to do it.

In the pics you can see on the lower left and right of the case the large O, those are the posts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Changing the oil cover gasket

Good job.

I did an oil change, chain lube today.

My neighbor built a pair of jack stands for me, and they sure work nice.

It is good to do your own work, know that it is done right.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13

i love doing my own stuff. 90% is easy. this thing sat for 6 years, and looked like this when i took the cover off. great! but i got everything going on this myself, forks replaced, horn redone etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
JWR

Great that you enjoy working on it.

A lot of good information and how to's on this site.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Nice write-up.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Nice write up and good pics. First time for me to see the inner workings on the clutch side too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman13
6. Remove the old gasket. I had to use a razor scraper to get it off because one side has this ungodly epoxy from what I can see on the new one. Once I had it off I used some fine (400 grit) sandpaper to smooth everything out.
You can save your self a lot of hassle and the possibility of gouging the mating surfaces bad enuff with the razor that it won't seal. I almost learned this the hard way. The soft aluminum gouges VERY easily with a razor blade.
Use some of this permatex gasket remover on both surfaces available at autozone. The instructions say to let it soak for 1/2 hour or maybe it was 15 min. I don't quite remember. You MUST let it soak on the gasket over night. Then you can use a soft plastic scraper or even an old credit card and the gasket comes off with very little effort.

You might want to merge this in with you're "How to"
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Not to be nit picky but this is technically the "Clutch Cover."
Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
alantf

I'd like to hang this c**t by the bollocks. This is the fourth thread he's SPAMMED
Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
mrlmd1

#4 gone.