Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
alantf

Nothing to do with bikes.

I thought you might be interested in an old Spanish custom. Amongst the Christmas decorations, all Spanish houses have a Belén (the Spanish word for Bethlehem). This is a model of the stable where Jesus was born. One of my hobbies is making them, & if any one sees one of my models, & asks me to make one for them, I use any spare time the following year, making them, out of any spare bits of wood, MDF board, etc. The "gravel" is the grit our budgerigars have, & the "sand" is fine sawdust. I use any old remnants of paint, so they cost me virtually nothing, & I can give them as presents the following year.

This is our Belén.

This is the one I've been working on this year, for one of my grand daughters. She wanted a pond, so I used a scrap of broken mirror.

You might notice a VERY strange custom. Every Belén has a figure of a man with his trousers down, taking a crap! Don't ask me why - it's just one of those strange Spanish customs.

If any of the family in England want one, I have to design them so that they flat pack, to fit in a suitcase. This is one I made for Jan's nephew.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 12-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Nothing to do with bikes.

Had to use another page - it won't let me upload more than 5 pictures in any one post.

I put a low wattage light in them all, so that the interior of the stable is lit up.

I'm not a religious person, but I do think that it adds to the true meaning of Christmas.

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 12-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
music man

How much you gonna hook me up with one of those for. Of course the shipping would cost me a billion dollars, but hypothetically speaking? My wife wanted me to ask.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
dhgeyer

Nice work! Cool hobby. Not too sure about El caganer. Kinda cool that they made Obama into one, though. I'd love to get my hands on an Obama El caganer!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
burkbuilds

Cool stuff Alan. Very creative work. Two thumbs up from me. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
How much you gonna hook me up with one of those for. Of course the shipping would cost me a billion dollars, but hypothetically speaking? My wife wanted me to ask.
Like I said, they cost me virtually nothing to make. They just take time, but being retired, I have plenty of that. The only problem is, that to make them flat pack, for transport, I can't make them as intricate as I like. I'm afraid that the ones Jan takes to England are the poorest of poor. I certainly wouldn't want anything less than the best to be shipped halfway round the world. Every one I make, I try to make it better than the one before.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, you are truly a giver. Definitely a labor of love to create these gifts. A big well done.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Like. Beats the hell out of birdhouses. The guy taking a crap - we have to have more on that - that is superweird even by Euro standards!

I'd like my Manger with the three wise men on a Yamaha, a Suzuki and a Kawasaki (they can be parked outside the manger if the WM are inside with the loot.) Instead of the dude taking a dump, how about Sarah Palin gutting one of the sheep? (Name your price.)

Here's an overseas shipping idea - build it with a wooden "cover" that goes over the whole shebang so it's basically a box. I know it's extra work, but it kind of adds to the longevity of it for storage too... just take the cover off after Thanksgiving, and presto! Instant Christmas.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran

Here's an overseas shipping idea - build it with a wooden "cover" that goes over the whole shebang so it's basically a box. I know it's extra work, but it kind of adds to the longevity of it for storage too...
We keep ours in a large plastic box. The Belén sits on the flat lid, & the box goes over the top. That's fine for static storage, but just imagine it in transit! Thrown around, upside down, used to stand/sit on, bounced about on a truck. The result would be a pile of splinters & sawdust at the end of its journey. :sad:
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
alantf

[attachment=0:21lks46t]Picture 010.jpg[/attachment:21lks46t]
[attachment=1:21lks46t]Picture 005.jpg[/attachment:21lks46t]
[attachment=2:21lks46t]Picture 004.jpg[/attachment:21lks46t]
[attachment=3:21lks46t]Picture 003.jpg[/attachment:21lks46t]

Thought I'd add a few pictures of this year's effort. It's for one of my grandaughters. She's just moved apartments & hasn't got a convenient table to stand it on, so I've had to make one.

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 12-12-2013 at 10:21 AM.