Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
ArdaBey

How-to: Install MC Engine Guard / Crash Bar

Just installed one myself as my first project on the bike.

I took some pics during the process to make it easy to identify where the bolts go, etc.

I am a newbie, so it took me a while to figure things out, etc. It took a little more than an hour for me to install it. May take 15-30 mins for people more experienced with tools/bikes.

Need to go to a Chicago Fire game now, but will update the post later this weekend with pics, scanned installation instructions that came with engine guard, etc.

UPDATE - Instructions and installation pics attached below. Instructions that come with the engine guard are pretty intuitive, hopefully pics below will help as well.

[attachment=1:2jzet11i]MC_Engine_Guard_Instructions.pdf[/attachment:2jzet11i]

Before horn is removed (i.e. stock)

After horn is removed

At this point, you can use the same bolt that was holding the horn in place, and put the top piece of the engine guard in place, i.e. same place that the horn was at before. Last step of the installation, you'll install the horn on the new location on the engine guard, pretty close to where it was before.

Using 2 size 12 wrenches to take out the stock lower motor mount bolt.

Another angle that shows the location of lower motor mount bolt. Notice that we dont need to do anything with those similar bolts on the upper side of the engine
\

This is how it looks when the lower bolt is taken out.

AND this is the "Oh sh*t" moment. After placing the lower part of the engine guard and putting in the longer bolt that comes with the engine guard, aligning the spacer, etc. it gets a little crunched in there. Regardless, you can use a size 12 and size 13 wrench to tighten everything up. After 15 minutes of dealing with that, and assuming I was done, realized that I forgot the little washer.

This is the first time I thought I was done...

Took the bolt out and put the washer in before starting again. Here is that pic. However, with the washer in, bolt ended up being just the right size on the other size, and I had trouble putting the nut in by myself (this is one point that I could've used another hand). Trying to squeeze, put in the nut at the same time, I missed the thread, and basically messed up a small portion of the bolt and the nut.

No biggie though, quick trip to the hardware store, and getting slightly longer bolt, nut and washer (for 95 cents) got me going again. I don't think this would be necessary for somebody who can put the bolt and nut together properly ... Next picture is after everything is said and done about the lower level part of the installation. Putting the horn back will be the next step.

I thought putting the horn and the reflectors back to the last remaining spot on the engine guard was a little tricky, once again due to space reasons. Had a little trouble holding reflector piece, honk and short stock bolt (that came out earlier) on my right hand and nut and the washer on my left hand to put them together. One thing that helped me after a few trials and errors, was to hold the nut and washer on left hand, reflector piece on right hand, put reflector in piece, and transfer it to the left hand, than pick up bolt and horn with right hand and put everything together. Once again, if you have a little more experience with nuts and bolts this should be pretty ez for you. It took a while for me to figure it out. Here is how it looks after it's said and done.

A few more close ups:

And the final product :2tup:
[attachment=0:2jzet11i]IMG_1327.jpg[/attachment:2jzet11i]

Hopefully this helps others who may be thinking about adding an engine guard to their GZ250s.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
cayuse

Re: How-to: Install MC Engine Guard / Crash Bar

Sounds good. Can't wait to see the photos, etc.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Oh my that looks just right. MC did just the right size and shape for the GZ. Not just a mere decoration like the Suzuki bars. Now there is someplace for highway pegs when you want to stretch out. What's next ?? Heated grips, LED driving lights to help be seen by others ??

Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
ArdaBey

Thanks WW. Next up is to properly setup the generic memphis shades short windshield I bought used.

The guy I bought it from messed up one of the clamps when he was putting them on my bike, so ordered a new clamp on ebay. When that arrives, want to install it properly for partial wind protection. (it is kinda short, so I did not really like it that much, but the price was right to try out my first windshield. I know what to look for when I buy another windshield now)

I may take it easy a little bit after that for a while. But saddlebags & sissy bars would be next I believe...

I'll check the forum to see what kind of options there are out there... And what to watch out for during the installation.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
cayuse

Nice job ArdaBey! Thanks for sharing. :2tup:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
BillInGA

Nice job on the write up and installation. Looks good on the bike!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
ArdaBey

Found out about one thing that I missed during the installation. Good thing that it was not a bad mistake.

If you check out the pic right before I said "a few more closeups", you'll notice that the reflectors are awfully close to the exhaust pipes. Turns out that this is not a good thing

After my trip today, I noticed some smell. Bottom portion of the reflectors were burnt out. Double checked the bolt, and it was in there tight. First thought about taking the reflectors out, then decided to bend the metal part that holds the reflectors upwards a little so that there is enough space in between the exhaust and reflectors. I think this will work out in the long term.

Lesson learned: Make sure nothing touches or is very close to the exhaust pipes... They will get burned otherwise.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
mrlmd1

For your next project add a headlight modulator (fits into the headlight bucket) and brakelight modulator. Easy to do and well worth the safety features.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
For your next project add a headlight modulator (fits into the headlight bucket) and brakelight modulator. Easy to do and well worth the safety features.
Self modulating Hyperlights on the back would be my choice. Did the brakelight mod on the GZ and it really did not compare with the eye popping Hyperlights on the M-50.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdaBey
If you check out the pic right before I said "a few more closeups", you'll notice that the reflectors are awfully close to the exhaust pipes. Turns out that this is not a good thing
I don't think you were supposed to move the reflectors down with the horn. I just installed mine and I left the reflectors where they were w/o any noticeable issues.

I'll post my install for comparison.