Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

New Helmet.

Seeing as how I tossed my HJC modular helmet after I sold the Vstrom I decided a new Helmet was in order for the day when I get the GL650 on the road.
Did a bunch of surfing online, ebay, different online suppliers and places I've dealt with over the years. webbikeworld is a tremendous help with their evaluations of various helmets and assorted gear. A big to them.
Being an old guy with a short memory and a great one for getting lost in Vancouver I decided to go to the one particular dealer I have been to before and have a very good chance of not getting lost. They advertise having a large selection of helmets. Oh good. Try on some modular helmets and then buy one online for less. Good plan. Wanna make God laugh? Make a plan...

So off I go and finally miss my first turn in Vancouver. To make a long story a little shorter I drove and drove until It was time to reverse direction. Made a left, drove some more, then another left. Totally lost by now. Keep driving WW. It won't be dark for hours. Then I spotted a Yamaha dealer sign. Sure why not drop in. See what they have.
Low end stuff, high end stuff and really high end stuff.
Sure enough they had a helmet I was familiar with. A year after I got my first modular helmet I tried on a Shoei Multitech modular. Fit like a glove it did. Or should I say a second scalp? Perfect or near perfect for my head shape. Tried one on today, same fit, beautiful finish and of course a highly rated helmet by many. THEN I looked at the price tag. $606.00 plus tax on top of that. Sweet young thing says these are on sale. Could not pass up the price. OTD price was $420.00. Still more than I intended on spending but it is a quality product and it is oh so comfortable. Just a bit snug which will pass after a few rides. The entire interior of the helmet hold my head, not just certain portions of the liner.
I will likely do a write up after I have done some actual riding and assess the helmet again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
JWR

Great buy.
There's nothing like a good fitting helmet.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Plavanchy

I tested out a new helmet today as well-got it over the winter. Did a great job! It has two visors(one clear and 1 for sun that pops down with the push of a button) also tightens up around the cheeks by air via a small button-nice!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plavanchy View Post
I tested out a new helmet today as well-got it over the winter. Did a great job! It has two visors(one clear and 1 for sun that pops down with the push of a button) also tightens up around the cheeks by air via a small button-nice!
A lot of folks like the built in dark visor. Most of the helmets on my short list had one but the Shoei was just to good to pass up.
I have some really fine clip-ons for my glasses so bright sun shine won't be a problem. Another sun shade idea is to run a strip of electrical tape across the top edge of the face shield to act as a sun visor. It has worked very well for me in the past and the Shoei will get the same treatment if needed.
Now all I need is a running bike. I will be patient though. When the Silver Wing rolls out of the shop it will be road worthy and safe. This won't be a cheap bike in the end but it should be reliable and safe. My first Honda too. The only Honda I have ever ridden was a Honda 250 Dream back in the 70's that a friend bought real cheap. It was very impressive.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Just for general info concerning the price of the Shoei. Ebay did have some cheaper but I learned from experience you may not get what you pay for. A $320 helmet online may have been made 5 years ago. Mine is a recently made item and good for years. I like to inspect what I am getting to verify the new condition and fit. Besides, I like instant gratification now and again. I'm happy with my purchase even if I didn't really plan to spend that much initially. I also have to remember I am dealing with Canadian money and in Canada. Not much is cheap here.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
alantf

Mine's got the two visors, but as my glasses are photochromic (they darken as the sun gets brighter) I've never used the tinted visor. Still....the helmet's a good fit. Over here we can get a good helmet for around €100. ($150 $C)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

The HJC modular I had before was around $135 Can but I was never really happy with the fit and the noise level even with ear plugs. It was a decent helmet but not for my head shape.
The Shoei also has a slight channel in the padding for the arms of my glasses. The HJC was always a bit of a battle to get the arms in a position that didn't hurt me.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
alantf

I agree about glasses. Mine ruined the lining of my last helmet.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
It was a decent helmet but not for my head shape.
Know what you mean about head shape. This is similar to mine and I do have some difficulties getting a comfy fit. By the way WW late congrats on the new steed. Hope it goes ok. Good looking bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Head.jpeg (6.9 KB, 2 views)

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
alantf

So....You're the Mekon?