Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
RJsfishin

New (to me) Bike Choke Control

Bought really nice '01 gz250,...... only problem, choke control moves hard......how to free it up ?

Other questions,.....
Looks like original tires,.. at 7700 mi, they look good yet,....ok to run a while yet ?

Any problem w/ oil being too full ? I have to lay it 1/2 way toward the side stand to see the oil line ??

Thanks
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
alantf

Tyres over five years old may still look good, but they'll have lost the stickiness needed to give a good contact with the road, and need replacing. As for the oil, it should be checked with the bike upright, not leant over. Also, go over the bike and check the tightness of the nuts and bolts. You don't know how much TLC the previous owner gave the bike. While you're at it, you might as well give all the moving parts a good lubrication, and change the oil, if you don't know how long it's been in the bike. Check everything over, and enjoy the bike.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Too much oil is not good. You should change the oil and filter, as alantf suggested, and with the bike straight up, fill to just below the full line by the sight glass. I use full synthetic to prolong the life of my engine, but I am anal that way. Any good motorcycle specific oil in 10/40W will do. I found that removing the choke cable at the carburetor and using a good machine oil, let it gravity feed down the cable. This should free it up.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
Gzfuging50

Can anyone help I us ally just jump on my bike and use choke to fire it up right away but now it's taking about 10 seconds to fire up with full choke like it's not even working can anyone help?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
tony1l

I sometimes have this issue after I work on my bike, I usually have to manually set the idol control higher by turning it a few times counter-clock wise. After a few mins of warming up Im adjusting it back down. Over time it seems to correct it self.

https://imgur.com/a/hRDTf

Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

In time, your valve clearances may change and your carburetor can get some varnish build up. Add some Seafoam to your fuel periodically to keep your fuel system clean and depending on your mileage, you may need to adjust your valve clearances. Outside temperatures will effect how much choke you need to use, if at all. Typically, the colder it is, the more choke you may need to use. Try to start it without the choke and see if it starts. Gradually increase the amount of choke you use and find a spot where it starts easily.