Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #41
tommygun

Re: Needle shim modification

After the needle shim is it nessesary/helpful to modify the air filter? or shoul a complete rejeting be done first?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #42
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun
After the needle shim is it nessesary/helpful to modify the air filter? or shoul a complete rejeting be done first?
You need to go back and read the carb modification threads carefully.
Those who have actually DONE it know more than those of us that have NOT !!! :roll:

IIRC, if you ONLY do the needle shim, you don't really need to mess with anything else.

After that, the jet change and idle air screw adjustment goes along with better air flow; you should consider those as a package and be prepared to do both together.....if you do any part of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #43
tommygun

Well I shimmed the needle the other day and noticed alot more throttle overall. I also did the 16t sprocket mod the day prior to shimming the needle. Best results came from going back to the 15t sprocket and keeping the needle shim mod. I am much happier with the bike. It is more confident in all gears. I am still toying with doing the other jets and installing a K& N filter. my goal is to see if I can maintain the speed (or gain some) while going up a hill. i live in the foothills of NE Georgia and go up and down many hill in my commute. The only other hope is to just get a bigger bike. :??: :??:

Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #44
tommygun

Easy, I have been riding as you suggested ( accelerating to a high speed before I approach the hill) for a while now and my complaints/ questions reflect still riding the way you suggested.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun
Easy, I have been riding as you suggested ( accelerating to a high speed before I approach the hill) for a while now and my complaints/ questions reflect still riding the way you suggested.
The GZ is what it IS. No matter what you do to it, it will NOT accelerate UPHILL in 5th gear; it just won't.

OTOH, it won't completley choke either so you have 3 basic choices:
1) Learn to live with the limitations.
2) Put the 16T back on and shift to 4th for going up hills.......and #1 too.
3) Get something different that will hold the hills.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
tommygun

Have learned to live with it, trying to like it.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #47
Sarris

The real solution to your problem is another 250cc or so. Maybe a Kawayamazuki 500cc (or larger) would be better for your needs.

There are places where a GZ is just too damn small. Being 6'-1" and 280 lbs, I run into that occasionally here on the Central Florida hills.

If this is ongoing daily really-piss-you-off issue, start looking. With the economy in the crapper, this is a good time to buy a used bike.

I would suggest keeping the 'ol GeeZer though, as you can never have enough bikes.

:rawk: :lol:
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #48
buck-gz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I'm interested in hearing how much your gas mileage drops. Most report a 10+ mpg loss.

Okay. Post needle shim modification, I tracked my gas mileage. After many miles and several fillups, here are my results:

MPG per fillup:
==============
1. 68
2. 65
3. 65
4. 64
5. 65
6. 65

Average = 65.3

I was averaging between 65 and 70mpg before the modification. I am seeing about a 7% drop in gas mileage now.

I drive a regular commute each day and take joy rides over the same roads. Most of my driving is at speeds between 40-50 mph. Maybe 20% is open road, 50-55+ mph. The terrain I drive on is generally flat with some rolling hills.

I am very happy with the performance increase - the slight drop in mileage is small price to pay.
"Blood Type A+"
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #49
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-gz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I'm interested in hearing how much your gas mileage drops. Most report a 10+ mpg loss.

Okay. Post needle shim modification, I tracked my gas mileage. After many miles and several fillups, here are my results:

MPG per fillup:
==============
1. 68
2. 65
3. 65
4. 64
5. 65
6. 65

Average = 65.3

I was averaging between 65 and 70mpg before the modification. I am seeing about a 7% drop in gas mileage now.

I drive a regular commute each day and take joy rides over the same roads. Most of my driving is at speeds between 40-50 mph. Maybe 20% is open road, 50-55+ mph. The terrain I drive on is generally flat with some rolling hills.

I am very happy with the performance increase - the slight drop in mileage is small price to pay.
Buck GZ ...
I've done the needle mod, the air intake, the jetting and exhaust. I also put in a NGK Iridium spark plug. That coupled with the 16 tooth sprocket makes this a sporty bike. I know of no one that has done all of these mods and regretted it. My bike Raven has never ever complained to me. I still have a couple of add ons to do to make it my special buddy. Go for it! :rawk:
Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #50
tommygun

My miliage seemed to improve after the needle shim mod??? Before i would have to switch to the reserve tanks at about 185 miles now I switch at 200???? (and I know I shouldn't run it dry just a trial test)