Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
alanmcorcoran

Re: Diminishing Enthusiasm.

Here's a "gumball" machine full of them. Put your 10,000 euros in and press the button, and out she comes!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
As an aside, what most people don't think of when they buy a Prius (other than the gas mileage) is the $4500 or so it costs to replace the batteries when they crap out at maybe 100,000 miles or less, or the environmental cost and expense of manufacturing those things.
I don't know about most people, but Sue and I gave that some thought, and even brought it up with the dealer before we made our decision. The hybrid battery is a nickle metal hydride type, and has a separate, longer warranty. Not likely to ever be our problem; maybe Toyota's.
We have close to 100,000 miles on the oldest of our three Prii now, with no sign of any problem with the hybrid battery, or anything else.

Our three Prii all average about 50 mpg year round. I just did a little arithmetic. If gas averaged $3.00 per gallon over 100,000 miles, a car that averaged 50 mpg would save $4000.00 in fuel over a car that averaged 30 mpg. The average personal vehicle on the road today doesn't average anything like 30 mpg if it's operated in a climate like ours. So, even if the battery crapped out at 100,000 miles, which I don't think it will, and even if we had to pay for it, which we wouldn't, we'd still be about even on money, and way ahead environmentally.

I don't think making, using, and recycling a hybrid battery has as much total environmental impact as pumping, refining, and burning 1333 gallons of gasoline. I also doubt that gas, even in the USA, will stay as low as $3.00 per gallon much longer.

The Prius was not designed to be exciting. It was designed from the ground up to save fuel. That's true of just about everything about it, not just the hybrid drive system. Maybe that's why some people love to hate it so much: it's the anti car culture car. It isn't sexy, sporty, or meant to be a status symbol. How dare it???!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
alanmcorcoran

I guess I'm in the minority but I happen to like the way they are designed and they are kind of cool inside. I'm guessing they don't have the ride or acceleration of a Camry (which historically has been all the car I need) but, I rode around in some of my Camries for years after they lost their gusto and most of their suspensions.

Getting back to the topic, "Diminshing Enthusiasm" I think I can pinpoint the last time I got excited about a new car - I was on the way home from the Chevy dealer in my then brand new '99 Suburban (it was probably mid- '98) and I was pretty excited about owning a gigantic 4 wheel drive with features that I hadn't yet even discovered. It wasn't long before the $38,000 price tag and, I guess just age, sort of cooled me on Vehicles As A Distraction. That is, until I got my motorcycle permit in '08. I think I have some time before I'm through with motorcyles, but the thrill does diminish with time. I wasenjoying the hell out of my ride last night though, and I hope to continue in that vein. One very positive aspect of this is motorcycles are cheaper to buy and operate. Not so much cheaper to maintain though.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #24
dhgeyer

My last love affair with a two track vehicle was when I got my '84 Jeep CJ7 ragtop. I had wanted a "Jeep Jeep", as opposed to a Comanche or whatever, for 20 years, and finally was able to swing one. Take off the top, take off the doors, fold down the windshield, go for a ride. I loved that thing for a good 15 years, and kept it for 18. I have no idea what kind of mileage it got. No one was paying any attention to that back then.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
b1pig

the Jeep-thing is a different kind of thing. i've got a '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon. i like it alot. the only downfall is the engine/tranny combo. no power. i miss the 4.0 i had in the ZJ i got rid of... even the 232 in the 73 CJ5 i had before that had more power... at least i remember it that way. never any trouble turning the 33's in 4hi on 3.73 gears.

i once went through a lull. it lasted a year. family commitment kept me off of our 91 Suzuki GSX1100G sport tourer. i sold it. kicked myself in the rear for a few years after that. bought a '84 750 Interceptor in dire need of TLC. odly enough it was that old bike that got the spark fired off in the ole lady... which is how i ended up with the Ninja and her getting her own bike.

dont do anything that wont make you very happy. if there is even a remote feeling of regret or depression, do NOT do it. (meaning sell, trade, whatever)

Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #26
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
the Jeep-thing is a different kind of thing. i've got a '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon. i like it alot. the only downfall is the engine/tranny combo. no power. i miss the 4.0 i had in the ZJ i got rid of... even the 232 in the 73 CJ5 i had before that had more power... at least i remember it that way. never any trouble turning the 33's in 4hi on 3.73 gears
The 4.2L straight six is a A.M.C. 258 Cid engine that was used in the Jeep and many other A.M.C vehicles for years, one of the best engines that was used Jeeps.A tough engine with good power,torque,and economy.I owned A.M.C.s for years before they were bought out and phased out by Chrysler.They bought the company to get the "Jeep" brand.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The 4.2L straight six is a A.M.C. 258 Cid engine that was used in the Jeep and many other A.M.C vehicles for years, one of the best engines that was used Jeeps.A tough engine with good power,torque,and economy.
That was the engine I had in mine. That was one Hell of an engine, and well suited to the vehicle. I had to replace the core after 150,000 miles. I replaced the whole body with a fiberglass one when it rotted out past patching. Replaced the top twice, along with the doors. I had to replace the driver's seat, and the back seat had long since been removed. By the time I sold it, it was only about half what I bought originally.