Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #31
alanmcorcoran

Re: About to buy a KLR650...

They have a couple more '09's at Mission Motorsports they'll be happy to make you a deal on. Just sayin'

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

The Vstrom is more street oriented than the KLR. The KLR is more dirt oriented than the Vstrom. Each bike has it's strengths and weak points to consider. My Vstrom is a road bike only for me and after riding a KLR through the Dragons Tail 3 years ago I really wouldn't want one for street or dirt use. Not saying it is a bad bike in the least, just not my cup of tea. If the KLR was a bad bike then there are 10's of 1000's of fools out there all on a bad bike. My idea of an off-road bike is 250 maximum and a weight of 300 lbs maximum.
A street legal dirt bike here is an ideal mount. I can be on a dirt trail in less time than it takes me to get geared up for the ride. A lot of the younger riders here put a lighting kit on a real off-road bike just to get across town and really have a ball doing all sorts of fun stuff. These bikes are lighter, faster, more nimble, simpler and have super suspension that doesn't beat up the rider. I really need to win a lottery. First purchase......a really large garage with attached house.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #33
burkbuilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I really need to win a lottery. First purchase......a really large garage with attached house.
I like that WW. I think I have about reached that stage of life as well. Years ago I wanted, and had, a pretty big house. Since I returned to college and live out of a rented room most of the week, I find that I don't really need much of a house, I do pretty well on one room, a bathroom and use of the kitchen. However, when I get home on the weekends, I really like having my workshop to do stuff in. Since my workshop has a garage door in it, I guess it qualifies as a garage, but I've never used it to house a car. Once the last of my kids are grown and moved out, I think the wife and I will probably downsize to something with two bedrooms, but it better have several thousand square feet of workshop! I don't really care if it is actually attached or not as long as it's pretty close by.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Bigger is not always better unless it is a garage. A few years ago I lived in a one room apartment that was fully self contained with all the nice things in life. Pure Heaven from my point of view. If that one room attached to a very large garage would have been here in Squamish I could tinker and create till the day I expire.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #35
Revs

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just joined. Had to get my wife a new password and back on the forums.

I own a KLR650 and love it. There are forums dedicated to it and all the farkles that go along with it. My favorite one is klrworld.com. Hope its okay to post links to other forums. Haven't read all the rules yet. Been trying to get the wife's GZ running.

There are a lot of fellow KLR riders (KLRistas to the members) in the area. Check it out. Tell them Revs sent you.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
alanmcorcoran

About to buy a KLR650...

I think I was on there reading about wind screens...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
Revs

Windscreens are nice if you plan on riding a lot on asphalt and are short enough that they stop the wind. I am too tall for any of the KLR windscreens to be of help so I typically remove mine completely during summer.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #38
alanmcorcoran

I'm toying with the idea of a longer trip once I have time and the temperature rises a bit. Maybe Mojave. Perhaps to the Lost Coast. Maybe to Salton Sea. More than likely I'll have to ride 70% freeway or more to get to the dirt. As it sits right now, I get a lot of chest/helmet wind on the highway.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
k1w1t1m

You might also take a peek at advrider.com. Plenty of KLR stuff there.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
alantf

Alan's post is nearly a year old. He's probably got it sorted by now.