Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
hedgehog002

Front Marker lights

Hi there. So here is my question. When I picked up my gz yesterday from the person I bought it from, I noticed that the front right marker light was on and the left was off. Turn signals worked just fine. Today I unscrewed the left marker light and water came dripping out. So, my question is this: Are the front ambers supposed to be on as true marker lights or not? I only ask cause now my right "marker" went out as well. Turn signals still work fine, I just don't know if the ambers should always be on or not. Can anyone help?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Tomcat13t

Re: Front Marker lights

My front turn signals stay on as running lights. There two filaments in the two bulbs, one that runs all the time and one that blinks for a turn signal.

Here is a picture of the bulb to get an idea of how it works.

The two prong one is the running light and the three prong one blinks for a turn signal.
I would take off the lens and see if the two prong one is broken. If it is, then its your bulb. Get a couple of replacements and it should be good to go.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The front signals should have an 1157 bulb. 2 filaments with the lower wattage working as a running light and the higher wattage filament acting as a signal. Make sure the bulb sockets are clean and the bulbs fit snuggly.
The rear signals use an 1156 bulb with just one filament to act as a signal. Your tail/brake light is also an 1157 bulb.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
hedgehog002

Thank you soo much Tomcat and Water Warrior! I'll be trying to replace them tonight. The left bulb is all corroded, so it may be fun trying to get it out. I will update as soon as its good to go. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
hedgehog002

Ok. So I was able to change out the bulbs on my front signals, but both still will not light up as markers. I also noticed that my spedo light is out and so is my horn. Could it be that part of the fuse(s) burnt out? If so, are fuses "universal"? What I mean by that is, if I go to my local auto part store, will the 15A and 10A there be ok to use on my bike? Please help! Damsel in distress!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
hedgehog002

ok I was able to replace the dead fuses. YAY!! The only thing that is still not working is the horn. When I press the horn button, I can hear a clicking sound but that's it.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
alantf

Is the clicking coming from the horn itself? If so, then a few possibilities spring to mind.

(1) The horn is knackered, and needs replacing.

(2) The voltage is too low to operate it. You need to disconnect the horn connector, and check the voltage when the button is pressed.(i.e. live terminal to bike frame, with meter set to dc volts), then ground side to bike frame (no need to press button), with meter set to ohms (there should be little or no resistance)

(3) high resistance caused by a poor connection in the connector. You need to uncouple it and clean/dry it.

Carry out these tests and let us know. If you haven't got a multi meter (volts, current, resistance) you can buy one very cheaply, and it'll be invaluable for future use on the bike. Without one, you're just guessing. :2tup:

BTW:- If you do need a new horn, and decide to fit a different one, check out the reports at http://www.webbikeworld.com
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

As Alantf suggested, check out webbikworld.com They do real world testing of many products for bikes and their riders in a variety of conditions. Their recommendations are pretty much spot on and take the guess work out of future purchases.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
hedgehog002

Thank you for the information. Turns out the horn was completely toast! I found a 12v one at Pep Boys for pretty cheap and has a "low" sound to it. Hooked it up as soon as I got home and everything is good to go!!