Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
dentheman

Pay $1199 or be a second rate customer?

I recently bought a new motorcycle and after signing the paperwork and handing over my money I was hit with the bombshell that for only $1199 more I could become a "Family Powersports Platinum Service Preferred Customer"; the implication being that if I did not purchase this I would be some sort of second rate customer to be put on the back burner behind those who did purchase this plan. 'Benefits' include: Free service of all scheduled inspections/maintenance for 3 years (parts and labor free); Priority service (go to the front of the line, guaranteed 24 hour service completion with an appointment, usually same day service); Save 10% on all other parts and accessories; Receive 6 free non-scheduled oil changes; All service performed by trained professionals. IS THIS THE WAY BUSINESS IS CONDUCTED NOW?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
dentheman

Re: Pay $1199 or be a second rate customer?

I wanted to split up the benefits to make them easier to read but there is a problem at either the site or my 'tab' button.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
JWR

Too rich for my blood.

Bike should not need anything but oil changes, after the first service check.

They hope you trade before you use all of the services. Same as an extended warranty.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
blaine

I would say total Bull$h#t. You just bought a new machine & your a 2nd rate customer??

:shocked:

Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

$400 a year for oil changes sounds pretty retarded. Sounds like some very expensive bait to see you more often and sell more parts and labor. You could almost live on that bike 24/7, do your own servicing and not spend that much.
I have a bad taste in my mouth after trusting dealers to do the right thing and not get hosed.
Spend a few bucks on tools that will make DIY jobs easier and get your personal satisfaction at home. A shop manual would be a bargain after a couple DIY jobs to pay for it.
I'll bet you get a lot of comments on a Honda forum about this money maker for Stealers.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Isn't this the same reason people pay $300 per hour at Disney world? To skip lines and feel somehow like big shots in font of all the other people who just paid $2500 for their family of 6 to wait in line for 17 hours on the "It's A Small World" nightmare?

People like to feel privileged or 'special' so I can see how there would be a market for gimmicks like this. But any self-respecting bike rider, outside of those guys who ride Harley's and don't wave at 'lesser bikes' on the road, shouldn't fall for it.

...I don't know that I would even do business with these people, if that's how they run their shop.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
dentheman

...I decided to do it! Had a change of heart after thinking about it and talking to some people. I talked to my previous mechanic (who no longer works on bikes but now just does 4 wheelers), he said in the long run this will pay off IF I DO A LOT OF RIDING (I put 10k miles on my Shadow in the one year I rode it). I also got an in-depth explanation from the dealer. It doesn't just include oil/filter changes, but anything that requires inspection, adjustment, lube, or replacement as listed in the maintenance schedule of the owner's manual. Completely free parts and labor. High-ticket items that are covered include tires, engine valve adjust, chain and sprockets, etc. as well as lower cost things such as air and oil filters, spark plugs, brake pads, cable lube, etc. all for 3 years.
...It is already paying off in a small way. I just called to schedule my 600 mile maintenance; the guy said his first opening is next Wednesday, but when I mentioned I am a 'Platinum Member', he said they don't make appointments for Saturday but if I am there when they open at 9:00 they will do it while I wait (should take an hour). Quite a change from the time I tried to schedule my Shadow and was told there was a 30 day backlog.
....What really made me decide is that I am 63 and don't get on my hands and knees any more to fix things (it is too hard to get up), and since I just had double bypass my daughter wants me to take it easy and pay others to do the work for me (that sounds agreeable to me). ...also, 10% off everything including parts and accessories, helmets, boots, etc, just does not include vehicles and boats! I already know I need the tall windshield for my NC700X, the 10% off will recover the sales tax and a few other dollars..
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Now that I would pay for with a smile. Sounds like a mighty fine deal with your anticipated miles per year as long as there is not a maximum mileage limitation. Did they limit the distance per year or for the 3 year distance? If not you will have a lot of fun riding and letting the work go to some one younger who can kneel down and not get dizzy standing up again.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
blaine

Yep.That sounds better. :cool:

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
rick6375

Could be a good deal, if you ride alot. I replace my rear tire on my 800 Vulcan every year because its worn out, the front I do every other year, so for the years I spend about $800 just in tires. Oil changes I do myself, all maintenance really, but on average 6 times a year at $30 a change, thats another $540 over 3 years, its already paid for itself. Plus a new chain and sprocket set 2-3 times over the 3 years, and its a deal. The advantage is even better if someone else is doing the maintenace right away and you're riding sooner. I average 18-20,000 miles a year also, so it adds up quick.