Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
NB250

How soon do you ride?

For those who deal with snow and bad roads...how soon do you ride?

We still have some snow on the ground but the roads have been clear for about 3 weeks now. There is still a lot of sand on some side roads and some potholes are horrible right now...

So when do you start riding? I had the bike out once but the sand on the roads near me ended that pretty quick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Re: How soon do you ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB250
For those who deal with snow and bad roads...how soon do you ride?

We still have some snow on the ground but the roads have been clear for about 3 weeks now. There is still a lot of sand on some side roads and some potholes are horrible right now...

So when do you start riding? I had the bike out once but the sand on the roads near me ended that pretty quick.

Sand or salt off the road (on the side, I guess, would be okay, but watch corners/turning), but NO ICE OR SNOW (though if it's warm enough, and the road is wet like riding in the rain, that's okay, I suppose). Temperature is a personal thing - anything below 35 -40" F is too cold for me, but dry is the key.

Keith

Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
adrianinflorida

What is this "Snow" you speak of?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

NB,

I think as long as you are having fun at some level, have at it. It seems like you have a built-in "no-fun" sense that kicked in when you hit the sand and potholes. Cold, wind, snow, ice, fog, etc. all are major "fun" reducers. Perhaps if you adjust your riding to be more cautious (I am particularly paranoid about wet and sandy cornering) you can find a balance where you can de-clench enough to enjoy a ride in less than ideal circumstances. Plus you could start out on the GZ which is more nimble than the Vstar, until conditions improve.

There's always a chance you'll encounter a stupid deer or a drunk driver or just have a personal "off" day, so waiting for absolutely perfect conditions is sort of pointless.

And wear all of your riding gear. It helps settle the nerves.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Perhaps if you adjust your riding to be more cautious (I am particularly paranoid about wet and sandy cornering) you can find a balance where you can de-clench enough to enjoy a ride in less than ideal circumstances.
People DO ride even in ice and snow.......although I always thought that was pretty stupid....except maybe with a REAL small bike, off the road. So when the conditions are less than ideal, I find it helps to imagine you are riding on ICE; that tends to slow you down a LOT.

This might not be helpful, however, to those who don't know what snow IS! :roll:

Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I been riding since winter. 18 degrees ....

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
mr. softie

Us SE PA guys are tough! I rode all winter too! Even on ice one day. (to be avoided I might add) But our roads clear off pretty quick (lots of salt). The sand and grit are a bother, stay off your brakes in the slippery sections, the bike will slide around a bit here and there, just keep your speed down and your head up, and relax!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
dhgeyer

It depends a lot on your gear. I have a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves. I have ridden in temps as cold as 20 degrees F without any discomfort. Full face helmet with baclava, insulated riding pants, heavy socks and boots. I won't ride unless the roads are clear of ice and snow. It's kind of a trip being the only bike on the road.

Dave in New Hampshire
Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
bonehead

I rode in snow, ONCE. Early 80's in San antonio no less.