Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
dannylightning

went out on my first ride with a bunch of bikes.

went down to bear creek ohio, it was about a 3 hour ride there and back. 3 harleys one yamaha and me. first time i ever had a bike up to 100mph on a bike. that was a rush, dont prefer to go that fast but it was only for a min. had no idea where we were and had to keep up.. my friends grandpa has a gigantic Harley, he dumped it in a gravel drive way. he had big crash bars on the front the back and big floor board foot pegs. the bike just kind of tipped over and set on all the crash guards. we had to go and push him back up. he is 76 years old about 5 foot 2 and 120 lbs and drives a big beast of a bike. grandpa was one one that decided to pass us on the highway going 100 and well every one followed

my 800cc did a great job of keeping up with the 1400 and bigger bikes i was out with. next Sunday we all might go out again before grandpa rides his bike back to flordia. lots of fun.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: went out on my first ride with a bunch of bikes.

I think JWR wins the group ride contest this week.

How's the bike feel at 100? Smooth? Mine feels pretty good at 95-100 but I can't stop thinking about how many feet along the highway I'll be spreading my spleen if I should go down. That and my ticket history keeps me mostly in the 75-80 range. Even at 100 it feels like I got a lot more, but I don't think I'm ever going to find out exactly how much. Maybe some sunny, windless day on a perfectly flat, smooth, straight, lightly travelled stretch.

I have hit 100 a bunch of times passing people on back country two lanes. A bit of an adrenaline rush, but surprising less scary than doing it in a car. The bike gets up there real quick and it's easier to squeeze back in.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
JWR

Glad that you had a good time.

You can learn a lot watching other riders.....good and bad.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think JWR wins the group ride contest this week.

How's the bike feel at 100? Smooth? Mine feels pretty good at 95-100 but I can't stop thinking about how many feet along the highway I'll be spreading my spleen if I should go down. That and my ticket history keeps me mostly in the 75-80 range. Even at 100 it feels like I got a lot more, but I don't think I'm ever going to find out exactly how much. Maybe some sunny, windless day on a perfectly flat, smooth, straight, lightly travelled stretch.

I have hit 100 a bunch of times passing people on back country two lanes. A bit of an adrenaline rush, but surprising less scary than doing it in a car. The bike gets up there real quick and it's easier to squeeze back in.
real smooth at 100mph just as smooth as riding along at 60 or 70 just the feeling of wow, warp speed
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
had no idea where we were and had to keep up..
Be careful here. This can easily lead to riding beyond your skill level and other very bad things. Next time, maybe try and make sure the group you're with will wait for you at the next turn if you fall behind...if not, consider a different riding group.

Ride your own ride.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
Be careful here. This can easily lead to riding beyond your skill level and other very bad things. Next time, maybe try and make sure the group you're with will wait for you at the next turn if you fall behind...if not, consider a different riding group.

Ride your own ride.
i did fine, nothing scared me or freaked me out. i have always taken to things with wheels quick. i did x games type bicycle riding my whole life. i would not say i was riding out side my ability. every one went fast a few times on the freeway. no big deal. most of the trip was 50-60mph unless it was on a really windy road than every one slowed down big time. my friends grandpa especially with that big old hunk of cruiser had to take it slow around the corners.

dont worry im not going to do any thing stupid, well besides go 100mph hahahahah
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:

Ride your own ride.
Think this is an excellent piece of advice, many motorcycle accidents are a result of riders over confidence.
:crash:
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
dannylightning

[quote=New GZ250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "patrick_777":kpnqn6fc
Quote:

Ride your own ride.
Think this is an excellent piece of advice, many motorcycle accidents are a result of riders over confidence.
:crash:[/quote:kpnqn6fc]

im very confident but very carefull at the same time. at work they are always sending me to defensive driving classes and such crap and im one of the best drivers out there on the street in general, the amount of accidents i have avoided is amazing, i have loads of miles under my belt.. and yes i know a bike is a whole different animal. im just saying im a much much better driver than the average person. but i do understand what you are saying. it's not my driving i need to worry about its the douche paying no attention flying across 3 lanes that i need to worry about. even under pressure with a mix of heavy breaking and hard downshifting i can stop that bike quick. had to do it a few times already, the key is to have fast reflexes and don't panic when the crap is about to hit the fan. once you get the feer and panic is when people crash. quick reflexes and a cool head keep you safe.

there was one time on my bike i was sure i was doomed, i did not panic one bit and i reacted the the situation like a pro. no shakey hands or holy crap afterwards, just thinking damn i took care of business haha.

if you get scared on a bike you shouldn't be on one, that's my opinion, first starting out riding well most people are gonna be a little scared, i was, scared i was gonnd dump my bike and mess it up..

long story short, i can hold my own out there. don't worry about me to much. im not going to do any thing that i feels is taking a big risk, yeah going fast is kind of risky but im not going to be cutting in and out of traffic or flying around a corner at warp speed and flying off the road or any thing like that. those driving classes really make you look at the big picture out there on the road.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
MYPONY

Danny some of them in your group sounds like my gang (dad, 67, drops his road king-quite often).

Maybe the key is...

Not getting yourself into a 'bad situation' in the first place.

Knowledge, quick reflexes and a cool head are still great qualities to have.

MYPONY
Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
burkbuilds

Just a thought here, Danny may be relatively new to motorcycles, if I remember correctly less than about 2 years, but he is a professional driver (commercial truck) and therefore probably a pretty aware driver and although confident, I don't think cocky about his abilities. Someone who drives for a living usually has an edge in the department of keeping their cool in tense driving situations and as Danny points out he's not going to panic in a situation and make it worse. Having said all of that in Danny's defense, I think the advice is generally right on for the average motorcycle rider, we need to ride within our limits and skill ability and err on the side of caution and pick our riding buddies accordingly and such. I just think Danny might not fall into the same category as most of us would after only two years of riding. My cousin, who is a professional driver as well, took up motorcycle riding about two years ago and I'd have to say he's a much better rider than I am in the same period of time and I ride almost every day but I don't have a hundredth of the time on the road overall as he does, and it does make a difference.