db274302

Re: Can't get my bike started.

That is what i was afraid of.

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #52
b1pig

the carb may need to come off. its not super-complicated. you might be able to get by removing the bowl, plunger diaghram (on the side) and the slide assy... and then using carb cleaner to hose out EVERY orrifice of the carb. i did it to Lori's. as stated, i probably should drill the cap and adjust the mixture. i think thats what i'm gonna do next.

Lori's is a '07 with 1400 miles on it.... so... i feel your frustration. the temperment is from lack of use on our part.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #53
db274302

Well,
I actually just got it going really well and took it out for a short ride. It really seems to be getting better by the day. The engine is starting and does seem to want to idle. If the problem persists I may try a carb cleaning.

Thanks to everyone that has posted about my problem, I'VE LEARNED A LOT.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #54
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Add some in tank carb cleaner (Berrymans or Seafoam). If you can get her to run (even having to rev it to keep it going) take it out and run the crap out of her keeping the revs high to move a lot of treated gas through the carb.

If none of the above works, I suggest you take it to a mechanic or the local stealer.
See above. :neener:
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #55
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by db274302
If the problem persists I may try a carb cleaning.
Others will, no doubt, find this boring and repetetive but maybe you will find it useful.

You are apparently seeing the benefit of the cleaning effect of the Seafoam.
If you feel that it is not quite back to normal by the time you have used up most of that tank of gas, you might want to consider a shot of a more "heavy duty" cleaner, like Berryman's B12 or Gumout before you tackle (or pay for) a manual cleaning.

Those two have different chemicals than the Seafoam and sometimes "get" what the Seafoam won't.......sometimes.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #56
alanmcorcoran

From Sept 24th post "and the cure is to ride a couple of gallons of gas through the carb."

I maybe should have said, "the cure is to ride a couple of TANKS thought the carb." I know a lot of folks on here like the Berryman's and the seafoam, etc. but i found that, if I can just get it going (and keep it going), it often just need to run regular old gas through it to fix it up. I found that 150 miles of riding will generally put it right (assuming that carb gum from lack of use is your problem.) As you have learned, just to get it going and keep it from stalling is the hard part, and often puts a lot of stress on the battery from excessive attempts to start it. The last time I had this it took me the better part of a half hour or more just to get it so it would run (very roughly) without touching the throttle. I then had to get creative with the throttle and the clutch to get it to go twenty feet down the road. But two and a half hours later - it was running perfectly. I didn't do anything more than ride it. No seafoam (I have it in the garage), no berryman's, no nothing, except an eventual refill of the tank. Psychologically, I did ride it WTFO, and it seemed like that helped (see Sarris's "ride the crap out of it" comment) but I think the main thing is to get gas running through it and the more the merrier.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #57
bonehead

Do you know if the valves have been adjusted. They should have been checked at the 600 mi service. I know that when I needed to adjust mine that it would run but would'nt idle for crap.
My 2 cents-good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #58
b1pig

^ditto^ on the valve adjustment. even at 1400 miles, Lori's needed it badly.