Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Reasons for poor gas mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Alan,
Have you ever had your valves adjusted?

If your idle speed is set correctly when warm and you are getting a rough cold idle for that long a time period, I'd check into that.
I don't think they did that at the 3K checkup (wasn't listed on my receipt.) I have to take the Strat in for the 600 mile service (it's a tad over that already) and then I'll look into the valve adjustment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's flippin' cold down here.
When the car crapped out on me a few days ago, I wasn't left with any other option but the scoot. It's not that big of a deal. I went without a car for most of last year. But I bought the Saab because I was tired of getting wet and then riding in sub 40 temperatures.

I've since taken care of the problem and I managed to coax the Saab into work this morning. All she needed was some new fuses and a new battery.
(For those keeping up, I also finally got the Midget towed over to the house last weekend. She's maybe $500 dollars away from being on the road again.)
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
mrlmd1

You'll probably freeze your ass off in that too.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah, it doesn't have a heater.
My wife hates it but I think it's awesome.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
mrlmd1

Just don't have a collision with a motorcycle - you might get hurt in the Midget.
But they are pretty fun to drive around a nice twisty road, especially with the top down in the Summer.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Oh, you were talking about the Midget.
I thought we were talking about Saab. My wife loves the Midget and is keeping me motivated to finish restoring it.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
mrlmd1

I can't believe the Saab has no heater - a car from Sweden? You josh. I was talking about the Midget and I thought you said it (the Midget) didn't have a heater and that your wife hated IT, not the Saab. Ambiguous, my mistake. Does the Midget have a heater or just the engine heat comes through the firewall?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Alan,
Have you ever had your valves adjusted?

If your idle speed is set correctly when warm and you are getting a rough cold idle for that long a time period, I'd check into that.
Service manager called me back and claimed they DID do valve adjustments but "didn't charge me for it." (I'm skeptical, but that's just my nature.) He did say I should not be riding it with the choke on at all as that can lead to fouled plugs - and some of the symptoms I am having. You guys think a non-mechanic can check for a fouled plug without making matters a lot worse? I am going to try warming up the bike a little more and riding it with the choke off and leaving the "hot" idle down where it is smooth but too high and see if I can shake the stalling. The real problem is the inconsistency of the idle. It drifts down... down... dow.. pffft. Also, seems to not likegoing from high rev to stopped (at a stop sign f'rinstance.)

If that doesn't work, I'm taking it back in for a re-cleaning of the carb and a re-check of the fuel path from tank to piston.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
You guys think a non-mechanic can check for a fouled plug without making matters a lot worse?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1715
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
mr. softie

Nice how-to on plug removal Patrick!!

Do this with a cool engine. Clean around the spark plug with compressed air etc. Take out the plug and see if it looks "clean". It should be light brown if anything. Check the gap while you have it out. Or better yet put a new plug properly gapped in to rule out a bad plug. Running rich can foul the plug and it will look blackish or brown with deposits. Running rich can be caused by running with enrichment on or a dirty/clogged air intake. Check for obstructions (nest?) in air intake.

here is a site that has a good review of how to read plugs.

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Spark plugs are available in different heat ranges for different situations. I'd recommend putting a new plug in and not riding with the enrichment on any more than you have to, and see what transpires.

Another reason for declining fuel economy can be dragging brakes, so check them out as well.