Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: biek sputtering in the cold weather (non GZ)

I just read the part where you had decided to go all the way with pipes and stuff if you are going to have to rejet.

If that stuff is your eventual goal anyway, then "yes", that's a good idea. Might as well knock it all out at once, but getting your jetting just right takes time and patience if you do it yourself. Letting a shop do it would be faster and they could probably guarantee the work, but I wouldn't advise spending lots of money up front. You may find that with proper jetting these little adjustments that you made will be pleasing enough.

Check out the Intruder forums and see what those guys think about the availability of these parts and their ease of installation. They'll have insights into this that we can never offer, as I've never even seen a Volusia up close.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
All of those little changes, like the baffles and stuff, leaned up your mixture just enough that it still ran fine in warm weather but now the colder weather is making it apparent that your overall mixture is not right.

Sounds like you need to just enrich the needle jet. What kind of bike is this? If it's a V-twin, you might want to take it into a shop and have them do that for you, unless you are real familiar with working on bikes. Taking the tops off of your carb can be intimidating for newbies. If it happens to be a vertical Twin or a big fat single, then you can totally do it yourself. Look it up on google. I can't think of a bike that exists that doesn't have at least some type of forum devoted to it with friendly people who can tell you exactly what you need to do.

To answer the question in your own mind once and for all, blip your throttle really fast in neutral. Just a quick flick of the wrist and take the rpms up towards 60% or so your maximum. If the needle "hangs" on its way down and then comes down slowly, you are lean. If the needle rises slowly and then falls below idle before coming back up to rest at its normal position, then you are rich. Again, this little test should apply to any carberated vehicle on the planet.

PS: Anytime you make changes to the intake or exhaust of a carbed engine, you HAVE to adjust the carb jetting if you want to experience beneficial results.
the bike is a v twin, it only has one carb (not sure how that works), no syncing the carbs and such but crabs are foreign ground to me, looks easy to rejet a carb minus the part about drilling a new hole for the new jet, that scares me,

i dont have a tachometer on my bike, cant do the test. but im going to park the bike for the winter, buying new pipes and a jet kit

as far as other forums the intruder alert caffe is no longer working, not the best place to ask for any thing, no one really seems to reply and the other place specifically for my volusia, well after you sign up it lets the administrator know than you get a email back saying your account is activated, signed up twice and its been about a month. still cant sign on yet..
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
dannylightning

Quote:
I just read the part where you had decided to go all the way with pipes and stuff if you are going to have to rejet.

If that stuff is your eventual goal anyway, then "yes", that's a good idea. Might as well knock it all out at once, but getting your jetting just right takes time and patience if you do it yourself. Letting a shop do it would be faster and they could probably guarantee the work, but I wouldn't advise spending lots of money up front. You may find that with proper jetting these little adjustments that you made will be pleasing enough.

Check out the Intruder forums and see what those guys think about the availability of these parts and their ease of installation. They'll have insights into this that we can never offer, as I've never even seen a Volusia up close.

what is the forum your talking about???????

they say this is the deal for my bike with new pipes and a K&N filter if you buy a dyno jet, ket kit.

150 or 155 main, 37.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm.

i can still look around and find info some info on the volusia riders forum but not sign in and ask any thing

Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There has to be another forum somewhere...

...I can't really be of much help on the carb thing as I have no experience with that particular bike, but there shouldn't be any drilling involved. If you want it done right, just buy some new jets. Main jets might run you $5 a piece and a needle jet can "usually" be raised with a washer or two under the needle; it depends on the type of carb that's in there.

The only drilling that I've ever done on a carb lasted about 1/2 a second. On my Ninja I had to drill out the cover for the idle mixrture screw. All you have to do is get the drill bit just to break the surface and then the cover pulls out. It's just one of those things that the EPA requires so people don't go messing with their carbs... They're on most bikes. But as far as what you were saying, don't go the cheap rout by drilling your own jets. You'll never know what setting you are at and most of the time those guys that drill out jets are running way too rich.

Do some more research on this. Carbs look complicated by they are pretty simple once you figure out their main operations.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
dannylightning

Quote:
There has to be another forum somewhere...

...I can't really be of much help on the carb thing as I have no experience with that particular bike, but there shouldn't be any drilling involved. If you want it done right, just buy some new jets. Main jets might run you $5 a piece and a needle jet can "usually" be raised with a washer or two under the needle; it depends on the type of carb that's in there.

The only drilling that I've ever done on a carb lasted about 1/2 a second. On my Ninja I had to drill out the cover for the idle mixrture screw. All you have to do is get the drill bit just to break the surface and then the cover pulls out. It's just one of those things that the EPA requires so people don't go messing with their carbs... They're on most bikes. But as far as what you were saying, don't go the cheap rout by drilling your own jets. You'll never know what setting you are at and most of the time those guys that drill out jets are running way too rich.

Do some more research on this. Carbs look complicated by they are pretty simple once you figure out their main operations.
the jet kits for this bike come with a drill bit guess you need to drill a new hole that the new jet screws in to, i just looked up the directions, i misunderstood the drill bit is to drill out the cover on the fuel mixture screw i thought you had to drill a new hole to screw the new jet into the carb.. for 60 bucks this is what you get in the kit.

jets
1 Main Jet DJ126
1 Main Jet DJ128
1 Main Jet DJ130
1 Main Jet DJ132
1 Main Jet DJ150
1 Main Jet DJ155
1 Main Jet DJ160
parts
1 Fuel Needle DNO712
1 E-Clips DE0001
1 Adjusting Washer DW0001
1 Slide Spring DSP026
1 Needle Spring DSP77
1 Plug Drill DD #5/32
1 Screw DS0001

i hear the needle that comes in this kit will make the bike more responsive than the stock needle and this is the best kit out there for the volusia,

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

For $60, that sounds like a pretty good kit.
See if you can find a how-to for your bike. It will give you a chance to learn more about the carb and it will save you some money. If you can follow directions carefully, this is totally something you can handle.

Use other's reccomendation for getting your jetting close, but to get spot-on-perfect will take some trial and error and you'll probably wind up changing jets several times. Most people, when gettig into this, go ahead and replace the air box with a pod filter like a K&N or something. It makes getting at the carb much easier in the future, in case you ever have to adjust anything again.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
dannylightning

Quote:
For $60, that sounds like a pretty good kit. go ahead and replace the air box with a pod filter like a K&N or something. It makes getting at the carb much easier in the future, in case you ever have to adjust anything again.
the carb is on the top right between the heads, got to take off the gas tank to get to it. you can barley even see the thing in there when you look for it. it's jammed way up there. dont think i can really put one of those filters on there the way its set up. so im hoping to get it right the first time lol..

i looked at the thread on here for carb mods like the needle shim and all that, looks easy. probably not much different on my bike i wouldent think..
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
mrlmd1

You could also maybe put it back together the way it was originally and use it that way 'till you get all the parts and knowledge to fix it the way you want. without doing any further damage to it or getting stuck somewhere because it won't run right in the cold.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You could also maybe put it back together the way it was originally and use it that way 'till you get all the parts and knowledge to fix it the way you want. without doing any further damage to it or getting stuck somewhere because it won't run right in the cold.
once you pull those baffles out of the pipes you cant put them back the way they were, i just need a new set of pipes and a jet kit. just got to decide on witch of the 2 pipes to buy. vance and hines crusiers or cobra street rods.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Danny, check out Motorcycle-Journal Forum. Lots of good info and rider/owner experience. Intruder Alert is also a great forum. Having met the forum owner personally I would say he a great guy and lives on 2 wheels.