Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
RuffStuff

TU 250 Volty trouble

Hi ive got a tu 250 volty, its a 1995 jap import ( apparently the same as 97 uk model) and im currently hacking about on it in freezing temps
Im having a few issues, from what i can find out its the same ish motor as the gn and gz, 250 single, 4 valve and pretty basic, as of any other info i cant find much, a few parts diagrams and thats about it, so if anyones got any stuff they want to post up id be very grateful :roll:

OK so on to the problems, is it just me or is 5th useless to everyone ?
itll do 50 in 3rd 4th and 5th but anything over that in 5th seems to be an issue, i can ring it to death in 4th and see 120 kph on the clocks on the odd occasion but 110 is the norm and i feel really mean on it cos im 300lbs :tongue:

if i shift up into 5th at say just over 60mph ( most days it does it no matter what speed i shift to 5th) it seems to start fueling really bad and jumping about and then rolls down to 55 or less and just doesnt respond, even to wide open, almost like its trying to stall and it needs a downshift to avoid a wipeout on the bypass i have to go down

even 4th is causing some issues and has also been doing this occasionally, im also finding it doesnt like to sit on part throttle in 4th or 5th for the 50 mph coast road to my girlfriends and seems to surge and sometimes itll need a down shift to 3rd just to keep with the traffic flow

Im very mechanically minded, have built and raced bikes since i was a kid but this has got me beaten
I also think the massive lack of info for this model isnt helping me either so if anyones got an idea what it is or has a manual in pdf let me know

Ive emptied the tank n filled with fresh, run redex thru the carb, stripped and cleaned the bottom half out, blown the jets thru, set the mix screw, its got a new plug, the filters clean, ive changed the oil and put a brand new battery on it

ill need new carb top screws before i can get into the top as they have seized solid and need driling out, all i know is its a mikuni ( see link for diagram )
http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-tu250-1997- ... FIG10.html

i wondered if it was the needle, but im not too sure, the symptoms are too erratic and only in the top 2 cogs, no one round here has one or even something similar so i dont know if this is just something they do or not

any help will be greatly appreciated :2tup:
Gaz

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
blaine

Re: TU 250 Volty trouble

Try riding with choke partly on.If runs better,needs needle adjustment and larger main jet.Possibly a "130.Good luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Sarris

I go 6'-1" and about 280 lbs and I really recommend the 16 tooth front sprocket. With it I can maintain 60-65 mph without a problem, although my GeeZer really likes 55 mph best. However, the 16 tooth front sprocket makes 5th gear virtually a cruise gear only without much acceleration capability.

Service manual for the GZ is here on site.

See Ron Ayers for parts microfiche here: Ron Ayers

Good Luck

:rawk:

Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
RuffStuff

i did try riding with the choke on but the vibes just rock it shut when its warmed up, its a pull on one next to the petrol tap, as said its fine in the first 3 gears and normally the 4th

i did wonder about the 16 tooth fr cog, so i take it thats going up one and just riding it as a 4 speed then ?
how much difference does that make to the around town nippyness of the bike ?
ive found a place selling 2 down rr cogs pretty cheap, maybe that would be a good comprimise

Im going to have to try and get on another pc to see the manual (wont load up for some reason) but can anyone tell just what the differences are between the tu and gz engines ?
I know the carbs are a different set up and not much else
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
However, the 16 tooth front sprocket makes 5th gear virtually a cruise gear only without much acceleration capability.
Time out. I thought that was his COMPLAINT. Did I miss something ??
Upping the final drive ratio would make the problem worse, not better.
Maybe his drive ratio is different than the stock GZ already.

I suspect that wind resistance plus 300 lbs. has something to do with it.......but it still doesn't sound quite right.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
RuffStuff

i did consider making 5th totally redundant by changing the sprockets as im so fed up of it doing what it does, it does it even on the calmest of days if its windy ill just see 60 tops and no more ringing it out in 4th

I have no other option but fast roads out of town, 1 way in, 1 way out :-(

is it possible that the motor just cannot do a high revs shift into 5th ?
ive never known any other bike to do it tho

I know being big means ill never get it close to 80 but all i want is to be able to hook into 5th and it sit at 70 or i risk getting wiped out on the bypass, which has nearly happened when my old scooter seized and turned the lights off at 3am and the following car was doing 110 behind me
Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffStuff
can anyone tell just what the differences are between the tu and gz engines ?
I know the carbs are a different set up
Yes, totally different - in fact so different that the tu doesn't have one .... it's fuel injected. I think that fuel injection would make a world of difference to the gz :2tup:
Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
RuffStuff

its the old one, not the new model
same frame as the gn, supposed to be same motor, 18 fr n 17 rr wheels

although wouldnt mind the new one, could get some decent rubber on it then

heres the only pic ive got of it with my balding mate sat on it

Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

With a name like Volty, you should just paint it rainbow and hang tassles off the barends.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffStuff
I know being big means ill never get it close to 80 but all i want is to be able to hook into 5th and it sit at 70 or i risk getting wiped out on the bypass,
If you have no windshield, when the bike is going 70, you are fighting a 70 MPH headwind......automatically.......against the bike AND your..mmm....sizeable body,which acts like a sail.

I think the general consensus here is that 70 is about the average top speed, and that under ideal conditions. Most are only "comfortable" up to about 65.

My opinion is that you are hoping for more than you will ever get..........but your "using only 4 gears" idea is interesting. The real solution is to trade it in for a bike with about twice as many CCs; several here have done that.

Cheers. Good luck.