Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
Easy Rider

Re: Please help me get my bike started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Does gas coming out of the carb overflow when on prime mean I'm floading the carb for is something blocked? Only happens on prime but is that normal?

And how long and often can you hold that starter button before you burn it out?!?
Gas coming out the overflow means that the float/needle valve inside the carb is not working right.
The vacume operated cutoff in the petcock will not allow gas to flow in ON or RES if the engine is not running.
PRIme allows gas to flow all the time. The float/needle valve is supposed to shut it off when the bowl gets full.

When the engine does run, the extra gas is probably going into the engine; NOT GOOD.

You can run the starter for about 5 seconds on then 5 seconds off BUT you need to STOP trying to start it until you can put it on PRIme and NOT have gas leak out. That probably means a manual carb cleaning; about $150 at a dealer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
mrlmd1

Either get yourself an owner's manual and read it (you can download it on here), get a basic book from the library about how engines work and read it, get a knowledgeable friend to help you, or sell your bike.
You keep jumping around all over the place and will never get it started if you keep randomly messing with it hoping something good will happen.

First off- if the bike started and was running, why did you want to put on the choke? You don't need it all the time, mostly when it's cold, and I'm sure where you are, it's not. It's not an automatic thing to have to do, if it starts without it, great.

Why are you leaving it on prime? Do you know what that does and when you need it?
The carb is flooded and probably dirty - you never did the Seafoam/Berryman's thing did you?

And I hope you charged up the new battery before using it, otherwise you will be back in the battery shop for another one in a day or two.
5-10 sec on the starter is more than enough. then let it cool off 15-30 sec. before hitting it again.
And starting fluid will not cure your problem and may get you into trouble.

You might also learn something doing a search on here and reading through a lot of posts about just this thing.
Try and listen to the advice you get if you ask a question -- you have a dirty carb, and old crappy gas, and maybe now also a weak or dead new battery. Proceed from there first.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
jake

Wow mrlmd1, you're kind of tough. I have read a lot on this forum, the the manual and other sites trying to educate myself. Since my knowledge base was zero, I feel pretty enlightened to even know what the carb looks like and to have done what I have so far. If you read my first post you'll see that I drained my "old crappy gas" from the tank and carb, put in fresh gas AND SEAFOAM. I was taught to use the choke in my MSF training class taken in June in Florida and yes it was hot then. When the engine started it sounded weak and like it was going to quit, which made me remember - choke. Honestly I was excited that it started at all. When I got first battery, I was told it was ready to go and when I exchanged it today he checked the new one and, once again, said I was good to go-- no charging needed. You also tell me follow the advice here, which is why I'm here-- for advice from those who know a whole lot more than me-- yet tell me no starter fluid , which there are several conflicting posts above telling me how to do it. Furthermore, I only used prime to be sure that gas was still getting to the carb. Thank you Easy Rider for explaining about the float/needle valve. Thought I had read something about that somewhere.

I am certainly not trying to start trouble here but geez, give a girl a break. (Jake is my dog). I learned so much from this site whiletryin to learn to ride and now thought it would be ok to come back and ask some questions. I have noone close by to help me and am tying to get it running so I can sell it. After over a year of treatment to stay alive, don't want to go out as roadkill due to my inexperience or someone elses. Thank you immensely to those who have the patience to help.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Wow mrlmd1, you're kind of tough.
No Jake he isn't being tough. I might have said something similar if I got here first. It did sound kind of odd that you added choke after the bike was running. Yes I know you were taught to use it but some bikes will start in a warmer climate without choke usage.
Also, you haven't confirmed if you have a battery charger. You will need one before this starting problem is over. A small battery only has so much reserve and then is signs off and leaves you hanging there. Your bike will love to have a fully charged battery to rely on for starting.
Believe it or not we want you riding and grinning like the rest of us as soon as possible.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #25
blaine

When you started bike and it sounded"weak" it was because it had to much fuel.Putting on choke only made things worse.As EASY stated needle sticking.when next you try to start turn idle up 2 or3 turns(white knob)When bike starts tap on float bowl.Sometimes it helps to free sticking needle.Leave idle turned up until bike clears out and runs smoother.Hopefully this will save you taking carburetor apart.Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #26
jake

Thanks Blaine! Makes sense. Will try after work today.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #27
dentheman

After it sitting for 2 1/2 years, you did check to be sure it has oil to the right level? And that the air filter is clean?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
mrlmd1

Sorry if I sounded too harsh, but-- Just putting Seafoam into new gas probably won't help too much right now as the stuff has to get into the carb and dissolve the "varnish" and deposits in there from sitting so long, preventing things from "sticking" and unclogging whatever's plugged up. Try to dump some directly down into the carb and let it sit, maybe overnight, charge up the battery again, and try it again the next day. If it's warm or hot out, you may not need the choke, (an enricher circuit), or use very little so you don't flood it again. If it ran OK before all this happened you may just have to clean it out, rather than adjusting idle and all kinds of other things.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
jake

Thanks mrlmd1 . If it doesn't start today, I will definitely put seafoam in the carb and let it sit. It ran fine before I abandoned it so I'm hoping it is just a bit clogged. The oil level is good dentheman and an air filter check is on my list to do. Can't wait to get home and mess with it!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #30
jake

well, suprise, it didn't start so I put the seafoam in the carb. Wasn't sure how much but based on how much gas comes out of it I put in about six or seven capfuls. If I need to put in more, please let me know. Checked the air filter, it smelled like gas. Drained the air filter box, black oily, gassy smelling stuff came out, about half a cup. Is that bad? Will drain the carb tomorrow and try to crank her up.