Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
ArizonaKev

Re: Can't get my bike started.

This falls more in the line of "preventative maintenance", but to avoid such problems in the future, as well as all the other suggestions, an easy one is to just go out, start the bike, and let it run for a little while once a week or so any time it sits. That will help keep the battery charged, the fuel lines cleaned out, and all the fun stuff. This same type of advice is often given for cars that sit for extended periods of time.

Good luck - I'm sure that, by following all the great advice on here, you will get that thing started!

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
mrlmd1

I don't agree with the above advice.
If you just start the bike and let it run at idle it will not charge the battery and the net effect will be to deplete the battery rather than recharging it, especially if you do this once a week or so. It takes more current/amp hrs. out of the battery than will be replaced at idle, even if it idles all day. The bike needs to rev at ~2500-3000rpm or more to get any significant current out of it's charging system. It's different if you go for a ride, but sitting at idle for "a while" does it no good and very little oil is circulating through it at that time also. Extended idling is not a good idea. Better to put some Seafoam or Berryman's in the gas tank at the recommended dosage to keep the carbs clean, and/or Stabil or something similar for extended periods of inactivity, and get a small 2 amp battery charger and use it once a month to keep the battery topped up.
Another reminder, again, if you want to jump the battery and start the bike from another 12V vehicle, like a car, DO NOT have the car engine running when you do this or the car's alternator output will fry all the electronics on the bike.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't agree with the above advice.
If you just start the bike and let it run at idle it will not charge the battery and the net effect will be to deplete the battery rather than recharging it,
Neither do I......but there is a lot of advice "above" and some of it is good. :biggrin:

That part, in addition to probably not charging the battery, also tends to accumulate moisture in the muffler and crankcase unless the engine is allowed to get fully warmed up (HOT).

Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by db274302
Thanks again for the replies,
When I try to start the engine the starter is strong at first but gradually drops off as I try.
Sounds to me like possibly three things are wrong here:

1) Choke technique. What are you doing with the choke ??

2) Battery sounds like it's about done for. Charging might get it going again......until it sits unused for a week again.

3) When you get it running again, I recommend a dose of carb cleaner; I like Berrymans B12 Chemtool.

This should also be treated as a reminder to check the air filter and plug.......and change both if they haven't been lately.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
ArizonaKev

...and I stand, humbly corrected. Yes mrlmd1, the advice as given was not good. Perhaps, what I meant to say, and should have actually written, was something to the effect of "start the bike up and take it for a short ride to get all the 'juices' flowing [paraphrasing here, meaning brake fluid, oil, etc] to keep everything lubed up, ie seals and such, and keep the battery charged".

I will be more careful to be more concise and specific in future posts.

PS - and by "short", to address Easy's concerns about not getting hot enough to get rid of the moisture in the exhaust system, I will strike that modifier from my earlier statement, and say "A ride long enough to heat the motor up to a normal warm idle, but not so far as to cross any international date lines".

PSS - Unless of course, you live within 5 miles of said date lines, and in that case, you will necessarily have to cross them.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
alantf

I posted this once before - a coupla years back- but it still holds good.
It's an excerpt from MOTORCYCLE HANDBOOK by Kevin Maher & Ben Greisler.

From the "winter storage" section. The capitals are theirs.

Once you have put it in storage, LEAVE IT ALONE. You can drool on it (as long as you dry it afterwards). You can rub body parts against it (as long as you don't scratch it or remove too much wax). You can get in your leathers, sit on it and go "Vroom ...Vroom" while spitting on yourself. But don't start it just to listen or to "warm the motor". Idling it won't warm the motor very much, probably will not charge the battery, definitely won't do anything for the drivetrain and will most likely leave some condensation in the exhaust to rust your precious pipes and mufflers. LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL IT IS PROPERLY REMOVED FROM STORAGE.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Totally correct Alantf. I might roll it around a bit to keep the tires from a possible flat spot but just letting the bike sleep is a good thing.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
ArizonaKev

I stand corrected all, and learned something new through all this. I guess I was the victim of bad information when I was younger. And given the fact that I live in Phoenix, Arizona, where riding season is every season, I admittedly don't know much about "storing" a bike. We can pretty much get on and ride whenever we please. But I forget that in most other areas, when winter sets in, there is no real 'taking it for a spin'. My apologies for my ignorance and bad advice. :blush:

I guess I will need to do more fact checking before posting stuff in here. And that's probably the best idea anyway - sure wouldn't want to give anyone bad advice and have them get bad results from it.

AZ Kev
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
I stand corrected all, and learned something new through all this. I guess I was the victim of bad information when I was younger. And given the fact that I live in Phoenix, Arizona, where riding season is every season, I admittedly don't know much about "storing" a bike. We can pretty much get on and ride whenever we please. But I forget that in most other areas, when winter sets in, there is no real 'taking it for a spin'. My apologies for my ignorance and bad advice. :blush:

I guess I will need to do more fact checking before posting stuff in here. And that's probably the best idea anyway - sure wouldn't want to give anyone bad advice and have them get bad results from it.

AZ Kev
Don't worry about bad info on occasion, we all do it. Then some one corrects us and all is well. Life is one long learning curve filled with pot holes and speed bumps.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
bonehead

Well it's been almost 2 weeks, did he get the bike started?