Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: irratic idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Does Canadian gas contain ethanol? I think that is a big contributer to the gumming, but others will disagree.
Up to 10% ethanol in most pumps. My local Chevron has ethanol free 94 octane but it costs an arm and a leg. All of our vehicles run well on 87 octane with ethanol.
According to the news the U.S. is considering 15% ethanol and Canada will probably follow suite. Should be interesting when some one pumps that into a high compression engine by mistake. FI might compensate somewhat but a carb will be out of it's league.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
dentheman

If the US is considering 15% that means it will be a done deal in the near future.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I thought the U.S. and Canadian models were the same.
According to my European (Spanish) owners handbook, the European / Canadian specs are the same, except for a few lighting differences to comply with the Canadian laws.

That's probably why the European / Canadian tank logos are the same, & different to the American logos - to tell the Canadian / American bikes apart.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
According to the news the U.S. is considering 15% ethanol and Canada will probably follow suite.
Not trying to be nasty here but.......you really should tell the whole story. :poke2:

The proposal is NOT for all the gas sold but for ANOTHER mix with 15% that is approved for use ONLY in 2007 (I think) and later model year vehicles. AND retailers will not be requires to carry the new mix (yet).

That means, probably, that one of the present 3 "grades" of fuel will have to go to make a tank and pumps available for the new stuff. Adding new tank and pumps probably won't happen because of cost.

My guess is that the "mid grade" will disappear and be replaced by E-15.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Thanks Easy. It's all in the details. Probably the mid grade will go away as you say or the gas outlets will need another underground tank.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
b1pig

that will be a logistics nightmare.

something of note... relating to gas. i receive a newsletter on british touring cars. (got a MG in pieces) one of the articles was about the ethanol mix. "shelf life" is around 45 days. after that, the fuel mix separates between the alcohol (bottom) and gasoline (top). The can be accelerated by water.. even from condensation. IIRC, it said that 2 tbs of water will cause accellerated separation and contamination of the fuel. then you get water (bottom) alky (middle) and gas (top).

honestly, i doubt that alcohol will gum up a carb. its actually more "pure" than gasoline and leaves fewer deposits as it evaproates or breaks down.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
dannylightning

mine idled messed up and it was the plunger on the choke cable sticking, took it apart, lubed up the cable it and it ran fine.. problem fixed
Old 10-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #18
b1pig

to clear this topic...
i did remove the cap to adjust the air/fuel mixture. mine was already at 2.25 turns. maybe because it was a "sea level" bike? i bought it in Lakeland, Fl and we live in S.GA... not really enough change in elevation to worry about. we're at around 300ft MSL.

anyway, i rotated it out an extra 1/4 turn to 2.5 turns. idle issue resolved. cold start is easier, even on a weak battery.

thx for the tech, guys.

oh, btw...
i run 91/92 octane in the 250, same as my Ninja.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
oh, btw...
i run 91/92 octane in the 250, same as my Ninja.
And you felt a need to mention that.........WHY ??

It has been discussed to death, here and elsewhere and the consensus IS that not only is it a waste of money but in some cases might make the engine run WORSE.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
b1pig

i run it because the engine is air cooled and doesn't have the thermal control of a water cooled engine. higher octane fuels are more resistant to knock/detonation. while the engine is a tad below what "requires" a higher octane rating, i have found that the bike tends to run more reliably with higher octane fuel. this is my experience based on fillups over the past couple of years.

oh, its also "easier to fuel both bikes at one pump and pay one fee rather than "insist" on putting 87 in there and pay a separate tab. if it would run on diesel and i chose to put that in there, what difference would that make? my bill.

dispite the good tech in here, i'm starting to feel less and less at home. :retard: