Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: irratic idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig

dispite the good tech in here, i'm starting to feel less and less at home. :retard:
No no no, don't go away. Your opinions and experience is of value. What works for you may not work for the majority but I for one can understand your reasoning.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #22
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:

despite the good tech in here, I'm starting to feel less and less at home. :retard:
No no no, don't go away. Your opinions and experience is of value. What works for you may not work for the majority but I for one can understand your reasoning.
:plus1: Stick around.If we all agreed we would have nothing to discuss.
:2tup:

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
dispite the good tech in here, i'm starting to feel less and less at home. :retard:
Why is that? I mean honestly.
What does it take for you to "feel at home" ?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Come on Easy. Take a break from putting people on the defensive with some of your comments. Not everyone has the age and wisdom we have. I know you can be more helpful with your knowledge so please do so. Some of the newer members haven't been part of the ongoing discussions that we so often beat to death.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #25
Easy Rider

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":2g15o4qd
Quote:
Come on Easy.[/quote:2g15o4qd]

Come on yourself.

I've been treading just about as lightly as I can lately without letting "stuff" just go by completely.

It was an honest question......as was the first one as to why he mentioned it in the first place.
I got an honest and useful answer to the first question......except for the "less and less at home" comment.

Just exactly who IS it that is taking an offensive posture......and why do YOU feel a need to stir things up even more ???

Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #26
dentheman

b1pig - This forum is made up of all sorts, a cross section of the population, with different opinions and different ways of expressing those opinions. A few of us might appear a bit 'gruff' at times, and it does occassionally lead to a bit of a flaming war, but not so much lately. I think everyone here wants to help each other solve their problems and get along the best we can. Stay with us, even if it means ignoring the occassional comment that rubs you the wrong way.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I've been treading just about as lightly as I can lately without letting "stuff" just go by completely.

What are you, the thread policeman or something, Why can't you just let "stuff" go by completely?

That statement is just ridiculous, its like you think it is your job to "police" The GZ250bike forum, well guess what, its not. Last time I checked you didn't create this site nor are you an Administrator of this site, so why don't you just chill out.

Of course now I have done more to assure that b1pig is going to leave the site by degrading her thread even further (sorry b1pig, please don't leave), but something had to be said to the "GZ site cop" :lol: .
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
b1pig

whether i leave or go is beside the point. every forum has its own demographic. For example, two forums that i take part in regularly... one is run on a "PG13" level, as its considered a "family" board. The other, not so polite. i can deal with what comes. the point is that -for the most part- this forum seems to be mostly laid-back types. which is cool. i'm not into the flame happy junk. however, if poked, i will poke back.

easyrider. if you have a suggestion or comment to make, make it. i have not been a member of this forum for that long of a time, but if my mere comment of running premium fuel in a bike which does not require it gets your blood pressure up... its on you. the fact that i choose to run a fuel which EXCEEDS Suzuki's suggestion is my choice and it surely is NOT going to harm the bike. I said I run premium, as .. in dealing with "other" forums when working through a fuel related tuning issue, that has often been brought up.

i'm not here to insult anyone's intelligence. there are people out there that know far more than me, and i have been wrong on more than one occasion myself... recently in fact. if i did know it all, i most certainly would not be on this forum asking questions. my experience with motorcycles is limited, but i'm far from uneducated on general automotive maintenance and fully understand the internal combustion engine.

most topics on use of a particular fuel or octane rating is weighted HEAVILY on opinion. some choose to. some follow manufacturer's recommendation. some dont. some drive a car that "requires" 91 or higher octane on 87 and never has a problem with it. i just did a search in this forum. i see that one of your posts related to how adding ethanol increases the octane rating. ok. so... if youre pumping 87, is it 87 counting the ethanol's effect or "87+". it would seem that the 87 rating is what they're going to make it for. so, if adding the ethanol accounted for points, youre actually runnin 85 ocane + ethanol.

have you considered fuel separation/breakdown? shelf life for gasoline hovers in the 45 day range, but that can be complicated by humid environments. addition of small amounts of water (as little as 2tbs) can contaminate the fuel and start early separation. also... alcohol (ethanol) ABSORBS water. (here's a helpful PROFESSIONAL website to confirm these facts: http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_eng ... tions.html)

my theory is... the bike doesnt get ridden as much as i'd like. therefore, considering that there is ethanol in the fuel, it WILL breakdown at some point. WHEN it breaks down, will i be left with 87 octane or 85 or less because of the alcohol? if i drain contaminants out of the tank and ride it away, will the fuel left in the tank.. though with less ethanol.... be ok to run? will it cause engine damage? these things concern me, because when the problem strikes, i may not be at home. besides that, each time that we put 87 octane in her GZ, the engine has exhibited some occasional knock under hard acceleration on particularly hot days. and, as stated... since my wife and i often ride together and my bike needs higher octane fuels (lighly modified 2000 ZX7), fueling up together at the same pump is less of a hassle. plus, we can see how petty of an expense this hobby is for us compared to other hobbys.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
bonehead

You go b1pig. Very well put.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
whether i leave or go is beside the point.
It is beside the main point; it is a different point.

So, one at a time:
It is interesting and useful, maybe, to hear a new perspective on the gas/octane discussion. Thanks for that.

You still haven't answered the question about why you "feel less and less at home".

If you are going to drop these little "bombs" you should be prepared to explain them. I've got a sneaking hunch, given the experience that you claim with forums, that you knew EXACTLY what the expected result was of your little "jabs".......as is reinforced by adding "premium gas" to your sig.

I will try harder to ignore the bait in the future.